Torque converter clicking/knocking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque converter clicking/knocking

Reaction score
City, State
Midland, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
I just rebuilt my first A4LD and am excited/anxious to see if I did it right. I have one final question though. I just placed the torque converter in the trans and I believe it is fully seated (approx. 1/2 in gap between a strait edge on the bell housing and the little knob that comes out of the TC.) when I turn the TC It makes a noise though. It sounds like it is clicking over on a gear, not grinding or squealing, but a knock or click sond. Is this normal or is there something wrong?
I really need to get this trans tested ASAP so any help would be appreciated.

good question for me as well

(bump)

Does it still make the clicking when you are coasting in nuetral...does it do it in every gear? I am having a similar problem with mine...

I'm bringing this thread back from the depths here.. but I'm new here. Found this thread while doing a google search...
I am working on an 02 4.0 sohc 4x4 explorer.. I have these exact same symptoms I have while trying to install my torque converter.
The inner input shaft shows threads only, and when I put the TC on, it is recessed about a half an inch from the straight edge when I put it across the front of the bell housing.
When I put the TC in it feels like I go through 1 or 2 clicks, I can feel the flat sides of the shaft go in. And when I think it should be seated... it still has the clicking noise like another spline when I turn it.. I have read that it would make a scratch noise and it will pull forward when bolted to the flywheel....but this sounds I am trying to go into another spline. Had it in and out several times, wiggled, turned over and over with no change. Is this normal? Any more advice? Everything seems right except that.

Back