torque converter install problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

torque converter install problems

If the shaft is the problem, grab the spline with vice grips and tap on the bottom of the vice grips it should come out unless you tried to beat it in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks a bunch. It was a pretty easy repair ,even with the trans still in the truck. Wish I had found this post before fighting with it for several days. :)

Easier way to put TC back in 5r55e

Just finished putting 5k replacement tranny back in my 150k ranger w/4.0 OHV. I spent 2 hours trying to wiggle, spin, jiggle, and align TC to get it 1/2 " inside bell housing. I even fastened recommended handles to 2 TC bolts, trying to align tip of splined shaft better. Finally, I turned it upright (vertical) and was able to "feel" the center of the TC to let it drop in that last inch. It honestly took less than 30 seconds. I lost 1 cup of Mercon V (came out tailshaft end), but not out of my pre-filled TC. I hope this helps and remember to put some sort of bolted on bracket in place to hold the TC until you get it close to sliding into pilot at engine.

Digging the archives...

I know I am reviving a pretty old thread here, but I found it on a Google seach because I was having the same problem. I spent about three hours last night messing with the torque converter on an '06 Explorer 4.0 SOHC. I am ASE and Honda Master Tech, so a torque converter should NOT have kicked my arse like this. The problem ended up being the inner splined shaft sticking out too far; as mentioned here.

At first, I could not get the inner shaft out, and didn't want to pull the pump cover as mentioned, so I put it in neutral, spun the propeller shaft, and the inner splined shaft came right out. Once it was out, I was able to easily reinstall it FULLY (whew!!!).

Problem solved. Just wanted to say thanks, and hope anybody else that has the same problem finds this thread. :thumbsup:

Eric

Excellent CaptEric! Rotating the prop shaft must have relieved any binding on the inner shaft. I will give that a try when this inevitably happens to me again because pulling the case apart to relieve the binding was sure a lot of extra work.

Using vice grips isn't as bad as it sounds the splines are hard and light taping on the underside should loosen the shaft, just don't get severe. If it comes loose by rotating this is better of course. A lot depends on how hard it was jammed in there.

All the info you guys posted really helped with the shaft problem. Question I have is now that trans is installed I am getting extreme vibration from the trans at low rpm and not as bad with high rpm. Is is possible that the trans I installed could have been sitting for a long period causing a sludge to build up in the TC thus causing the vibration. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Hey Einstein, welcome to the site. If your TQ had that much crap in it you will have more serious problems shortly with the transmission itself. That's why you never reuse a TQ that was on a transmission that grenades itself, the metallic particles from the old transmission will wreck your new one.

If it isn't your drive shaft I'm not sure what to tell you. It may be an internal issue with the replacement transmission. Hopefully the others will be able to help.

trans vibration

I did use the TQ that came with the new/used trans. Thats why I was curious if it had been sitting around for a while before I got it if the fluid in the TQ could solidify to one side thus causing the vibration while spinning. Should I use the old TQ as I only lost reverse/forward worked. Thanks for the help

I would be surprised if it were your torque converter. If you do think that it might be worth getting a rebuilt. For the money, it will rule out that as your problem. I wouldn't use the old one if there is crap in it.

For anyone else reading this post for a solution, it's super easy. Put vice grips on center shaft and pull it out. You may tap vice grips with hammer to free it. Then put it back in. The oil left in keeps it from returning to it's seat. Put in and turn until it drops in place so only splines are showing. A lot of trouble for a simple solution.

My two cents,
for anyone who's still following this thread, I had the exact same problem the original poster experienced, I couldn't completely seat the Transmission up against the engine, I was falling short about 1 inch, the dowel pins where just barely making contact with bell housing. So after around 8 hours of trying to force it in, I dropped the whole trans together and took a better look at the TC, sure enough I wiggled and pushed it and it went in a little further and then wiggled it in more as Im turning the tc both clockwise and counter clockwise and it went in a little further until it bottomed out against the bellhousing. Didn't realize just how far it had to go, surprisingly even after all the mule kicks, I didnt ruin my TC. Thank God!

My two cents,
for anyone who's still following this thread, I had the exact same problem the original poster experienced, I couldn't completely seat the Transmission up against the engine, I was falling short about 1 inch, the dowel pins where just barely making contact with bell housing. So after around 8 hours of trying to force it in, I dropped the whole trans together and took a better look at the TC, sure enough I wiggled and pushed it and it went in a little further and then wiggled it in more as Im turning the tc both clockwise and counter clockwise and it went in a little further until it bottomed out against the bellhousing. Didn't realize just how far it had to go, surprisingly even after all the mule kicks, I didnt ruin my TC. Thank God!
I was having this problem in late fall. Dropped the truck off at my mechanic and he didn't get to it until last week (spare vehicle). He was able to get the trans and motor together but said the TC was set back too far and wouldn't engage the flywheel. Said he was fairly certain the pump was wrecked. Going to bring it home and see what's going on. Hoping to make one good tranny out of the two I have.

Back