• Register Today It's free!

Torque Converter Solenoid

alohamonte

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4
I posted this in the second gen section but this it's better here. I had a cold start/stall out situation this morning. Would idle fine in park and neutral and drove fine in reverse, but would immediately stall in drive. After it warmed up (in park) I drove to a shop. They suspected a leaking fuel injector was flooding the engine.

After about 2 hours they called and said air and fuel are good. Problem is the trans (God I hate hearing that). The torque converter is acting up. They're saying it's 80% the solenoid and 20% the converter itself. I okayed the solenoid fix ($415+) but wont know until tomorrow if it works because they're very busy.

So taking bets - is it the solenoid or converter?

If it's the converter am I looking at a full rebuild?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, that's a lot of money to replace a solenoid.

They're giving it to me hard.

No CEL
No O/D Flash
No metal shavings in the pan when they pulled it. Fluid looked good.

Mechanic said their computer is showing a fault with the Torque Converter Solenoid. So they replaced it.

I just got a call that replacing the solenoid did not change anything. Still stalls in drive. Same code for the solenoid fault is showing on their computer.

They are stumped and bringing it to a transmission shop who can activate the solenoid through the computer to see if it's responding.

Thoughts?

No CEL
No O/D Flash

Mechanic said their computer is showing a fault with the Torque Converter Solenoid. So they replaced it.

I just got a call that replacing the solenoid did not change anything. Still stalls in drive. Same code for the solenoid fault is showing on their computer.

They are stumped and bringing it to a transmission shop who can activate the solenoid through the computer to see if it's responding.

Thoughts?

The solenoid moves a hydraulic valve which admits fluid pressure to the torque converter clutch. That valve is likely stuck in the "clutch engaged" position. Freeing it up should take care of the problem. Valve body disassembly is necessary. imp

No CEL
No O/D Flash

Thoughts?

get your money back and go find someone who knows what they are talking about.

first there computer said it was bad, now they need one to test it. right. they have no clue what they are talking about.

Whats it mean when you are coasting and you can feel the trans drag/breaking? Bad sign?

im guessing its in lock up or not shifting to the next gear.

Back