• Register Today It's free!

torque monster install gone bad..

pbnj22

Reaction score
City, State
duluth minnesnowta
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt 5. v8 awd
well i figured i would try my hand at installing these bad boys..
as soon as i pulled off the drivers side tire i noticed this...
the bolt of whatever broke off the sway bar.. who knows how long ive been driving like that and havnt noticed...

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/pbnj22/media/20130607_190312_zpsc1160a77.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

the passenger side.. how it should look like..

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/pbnj22/media/20130607_190344_zpsb772b931.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

then i could not get the steering column/shaft off in order to get the headers in...

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/pbnj22/media/20130607_195008_zpscf08339f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

i took the bolt off from the nut on top then Im not sure what to do next.. i could not slide it down because there was too much "gunk" on the shaft below where it would slide.

so then i decided well I will just take off the exhaust manifold bolts now and worry about that later... well i broke 2 out of the first 3 bolts and now i gave up. i went slow, went back and forth and used tons and tons of pb blaster one broke off clean just the head.. so maybe i can weld a nut on there get it out. another one broke almost at the tip of i am sol there..

any advice? tips? comedic relief?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love living in cali all my bolts always come out nice and easy with some simple wd40.

time for high performance heads.

Time for a drink or two or ten...

Time for a drink or two or ten...

hahahahaha!! probably ten at least if you drink more than 10 than you wont even care about the damn broken bolts anymore. Hell if you drink enough you wont even care if there is only one header on ur car.

Just drink a whole case and run open headers. lol :eek:

hahahahaha!! probably ten at least if you drink more than 10 than you wont even care about the damn broken bolts anymore. Hell if you drink enough you wont even care if there is only one header on ur car.

Just drink a whole case and run open headers. lol :eek:

lol i ddidn't care as much last night but now since I woke tup it makes me angry again.. so time to start drinking again!

Here is what you do, you seem to have some of the bolt sticking out, so you get the manifold out, the clamp on them with some vice grips, very tightly, then take out the torch, and heat that head up, and after some time with the torch it should come loose. We had this problem on many of the donated shop cars, we had to do the torch trick on a Durango, but in most cases we where able to use the miniductor, which is the most kickass tool ever, but also very Expensive...

Here is what you do, you seem to have some of the bolt sticking out, so you get the manifold out, the clamp on them with some vice grips, very tightly, then take out the torch, and heat that head up, and after some time with the torch it should come loose. We had this problem on many of the donated shop cars, we had to do the torch trick on a Durango, but in most cases we where able to use the miniductor, which is the most kickass tool ever, but also very Expensive...

I dont have a torch.. I am limited on my tools.. i put it all back together (in fear of breaking more bolts).. now it has a HUGE exhaust leak.. more than before.. kinda sounds like i have a cam now lol... but i am going to bring it in somewhere where they can get them. sounds like this mechanic i know could either torch them and put this wax stuff on the bolts and with the heads expanding with the torch and the wax stuff melting and following the bolt he can take them out almost by hand.. or else he would have to chop off all the heads of the bolts, pull the heads out then weld nuts on or something. he is a good mechanic and decent friend i trust his work.. i just dont want to pay to have it done!! but it looks like that is what ill be doing since i have a lack of tools here..

I dont have a torch.. I am limited on my tools.. i put it all back together (in fear of breaking more bolts).. now it has a HUGE exhaust leak.. more than before.. kinda sounds like i have a cam now lol... but i am going to bring it in somewhere where they can get them. sounds like this mechanic i know could either torch them and put this wax stuff on the bolts and with the heads expanding with the torch and the wax stuff melting and following the bolt he can take them out almost by hand.. or else he would have to chop off all the heads of the bolts, pull the heads out then weld nuts on or something. he is a good mechanic and decent friend i trust his work.. i just dont want to pay to have it done!! but it looks like that is what ill be doing since i have a lack of tools here..

Well good luck then. I know it sucks having to pay for work, but at least you know it will be done, and done right.

If you were closer, I'd offer you a hand.

Advice for the future though, 50/50 acetone and ATF. Those nuts will come right off after soaking for a little while

Advice for the future though, 50/50 acetone and ATF. Those nuts will come right off after soaking for a little while

the nuts or the stock exhaust manifold bolts? and do i need to heat them up with a torch? or just spray the crap out of them?

because maybe ill give another crack at it then.. after googling that people do seem to swear by it so maybe ill do it again since people seam to swear you dont break bolts and they just come out like butter

Just use it like penetrating oil. You'll probably just get the nuts off, if you want the bolts off, soak them afterwards.

Hmmm only an 8 hours drive or so!!! Practically neighbors!

In SD/MN terms... that is a true statement.

5 hours to Fargo, a little under 2 to the Cities, and an hour to Duluth.

I'll be up in Fargo next weekend to drop the kids off with their Grandpa so I can get a couple weeks vacation, but I have to turn around right after dropping them off so I can get to a wedding.

if i had more work to do id bring you some beers and money and road trip!!!

I tried vice grips, pipe wrenches, torches, etc on the broken bolt I had.
Nothing worked until I was given a Stud Extractor.

Google it, worked GREAT!

Mine was not broken flush with the head obviously, flush with the head, you may need to drill and retap.

I tried vice grips, pipe wrenches, torches, etc on the broken bolt I had.
Nothing worked until I was given a Stud Extractor.

Google it, worked GREAT!

Mine was not broken flush with the head obviously, flush with the head, you may need to drill and retap.

would be similar to welding a nut to the bolt thus making it have a "head" again so you can "retry" taking it out...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

would be similar to welding a nut to the bolt thus making it have a "head" again so you can "retry" taking it out...

True.
Stud extractor was much cheaper than a welder though.

Back