interscope8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Purdue University
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
Torsion and Shackle Lift - How To

I am not responsible for anything that may and can happen to you or your vehicle. This is documentation of how I did the modification specified. Do this at your own risk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally got around to doing my Torsion Twist (TT) and Shackle Lift (SL)! And again, I used my access to a nice air conditioned shop with a lift and air tools. It was 106 today and I couldn't even begin to imagine doing this outside!

Im making this write up for the newer members like myself who are confused, scared, or hesitant about doing mods to their trac. I was there! Also, use a couple other write ups and compare the procedure, I will provide links at the end of this one.

The Procedure
Like I said, I had access to a shop and lift, and I used it. But this will give you a better look at the underside of my trac so you can see what all happened!

So firstly I jacked up the truck.
DSCN1151.jpg

I went ahead and measured all 4 corners of my truck from floor to top wheel well. Then had the lift take 'er up. I had been spraying PB Blaster on all of the bolts a few weeks in advance to make things easier.

Take your spare off to make things a little more roomy if you need to. I would recommend this, it only takes a few minutes and you will have so much more work space.

Go to the first shackle you want to take off. I removed the bottom bolt first. The springs will want to move when you take the bolt completely out. Dont be to alarmed. If you are having problems getting the bolt out, rethread the nut until its loosely on and use a rubber mallet and give it a few good hits. This should help loosen it up.

DSCN1155.jpg

Next I removed the top bolt the same way. Here is a comparison of the new and old shackles.

DSCN1156.jpg

DSCN1157.jpg

Next I got my new shackles and bolted to the springs first. Keep it loose for now. Then line up the holes for the top and start your bolt there. Now tighten the nuts down and move on to the next one!

The Torsion Bolts are really easy to get to and handle as well. Spray these liberally with PB Blaster, they are a bear to turn otherwise...

DSCN1174.jpg

There is both of mine sprayed and ready! I also painted a white line on one of the sides and on the bar around it so I knew how far i was turning it.

DSCN1180.jpg

Use a 13mm wrench or ratchet, or a ratcheting wrench :D and turn these INWARD to raise it. I did 3 1/2 turns to give me 1 1/4 inch lift. If you do each side as identical as possible, it makes driving it to get an alignment a lot easier.

After you get done tightening the bolts, measure your height again. Make sure you bounce your front and rear end and maybe even put it in neutral and roll it a little bit to get things to settle. If you have an uneven side, adjust accordingly.

IF YOU HAVE A 4X4 DO NOT EXCEED 2 INCHES

This will put a lot of wear on your CVs.

The total lift for your trac should be 2 inches in the back and 1.5-1.75 inches in the front. I picked up a solid inch and a half in the front and 2 in the back. Im extremely happy with mine. Here are some b4 and afters:

Backs Before:
DSCN1153.jpg

After:
DSCN1177.jpg

Truck Before:
DSCN1151.jpg

Truck After:
DSCN1181.jpg

Other Useful Links
Torsion Twist for Dummies - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196965

Warrior Shackle Install -
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212451

Warrior Shackles -
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/products_id/6362
(Cheapest I could Find)

If I missed anything let me know and I will add it here!

-Make sure you get an alignment afterwards!
-Cranking your torsion bar will put pre-load on your front shocks and stiffen the ride, some don't mind it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cool, did you take it for a drive and let the torsion bars settle back down, then remeasure and crank alittle more if needed to even it back out?

My front is exactly even... down to the half inch as it sat in the drive :) the back isnt quite even cuz of my failing springs... after i get a few other things done to it im gunna new leafs

gotta love quick mods

I'm going to attempt this today or tomorrow and had a quick question or two. When you say adjust both inward, does that mean turn both bolts in the same direction? Or will one side be clockwise and the other counter clockwise?

Also the part about 3 1/2 turns, you mean the white marks passed eachother 3 1/2 times fully? Sorry, but some people might think a turn is half of what I do.. Don't want to over do it haha. Thanks!

I'm going to attempt this today or tomorrow and had a quick question or two. When you say adjust both inward, does that mean turn both bolts in the same direction? Or will one side be clockwise and the other counter clockwise?

Also the part about 3 1/2 turns, you mean the white marks passed eachother 3 1/2 times fully? Sorry, but some people might think a turn is half of what I do.. Don't want to over do it haha. Thanks!

Clockwise for both. and, yes a full turn will be after the white marks pass each other- 360 degrees. I just did my TT a couple days ago. I did 4 full turns and got about 1.75in. Hope that helps!

The amount of turns is different for everyone depending on the load rating of t-bars you have, as well as how worn they are. I know mine took a hell of a lot more than 4 turns to get barely over an inch ( final measurement after it settled) before the drivers side bolt bottomed out.

Thanks for the info. Couldn't get the damn things to budge at all though. I jacked it up as high as my jack would go but the tires were still on the ground, so not sure if that might have been the problem or if they are just rusted tight. Guess I'll be trying something else this weekend.

Tires need to be off the ground. Otherwise your basically lifting it with all the weight on it. Making that bolt near impossible to turn. Also soak it days ahead of time with PB Blaster or similar. Help if there's any rust.

Remember to drive around hitting some bumps to let it settle then jack it back up and remeasure to make sure they are the same height. Adjust accordingly. Make sure to get an alignment after unless you wanna roast some tires.

It might make it easier (I don't know) but you don't have to lift it off the ground. I did mine on the ground. I figured dropping it and raising it repeatedly to measure would get old really quick.

Thanks for the info. Couldn't get the damn things to budge at all though. I jacked it up as high as my jack would go but the tires were still on the ground, so not sure if that might have been the problem or if they are just rusted tight. Guess I'll be trying something else this weekend.

Use about a 4 ft hollow tube and put your breaker bar in that and the bolts turn no problem, you just gotta have some good leverage on it. I didn't use any kind of spray on mine, I should have though to keep the bolts from snapping.

im attempting mine this week and wanna ask some questions where do i take the measurements from and how many times do i need to turn the bolts

Make sure you're on level ground. Measure from the top of your tire to the wheel well lip. Or you can do from the ground to the wheel well lip. The number of turns is different for everyone.

Ok guys what kind of of jack do y'all use? The one that came with the truck won't even get the tires off the ground now! I don't feel like paying $100 for a floor jack for a one time use, and I'm gonna need something that I can haul around with me to change a tire anyway. What do I need?

I use a big bottle jack from harbor freight (4 or 6 ton IIRC) and carry a 4"x4" cut to 6" long for added lift since my Trac is lifted.

You could put wood underneath it. You can also get a jack pretty cheaply from Harbor Freight.

Edit: I was too slow for Jerry.

Yeah I went to Harbor Freight over the weekend and they had nothing that was higher than my standard jack. Well they had the expensive floor jacks, but nothing normal. Guess I'll just do the wood trick. Was just worried about safety with that, but if it works for everyone else that's good enough for me. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Using wood is safe as long as you use good wood and don't crawl under the truck with the jack and some wood blocks holding the truck. Always use jack stands. I just use the wood to get it up off the ground. Jack stands hold it where I want it. My dad has made fun of me because I'll stuff as many jack stands under it as I can.

Back