• Register Today It's free!

Torsion bar adjuster gone tricky

RedEB

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
After having read how to do the torsion adjuster bar replacement (BTW- really a huge help!!), I finally decided to break down and buy those adjusters due to my loud CLUNK when going over bumps. As it turns out, my adjuster bars were completely void of any material and shreds of the kevlar were in the protective shield so that was obviously the problem. Unfortunately, I am trying to put this monster back together and the stupid 2 arm gear puller is just getting too much damn angle to work right. I really don't want to screw up my new adjuster and I certainly don't want to be mutilated while doing this. How do I do this without getting such harsh angles!!?!?!?
If I can just get it high enough to slip in that little piece the torsion adjustment bolt screws into, I'll feel a whole lot better. I just can't seem to get a straight enough purchase on that adjuster!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BUMP
Sorry guys but I really need to get this back together because I have to go to San Jose with my brother tomorrow morning!! Any ideas? I just can't seem to get the stupid 2 arm puller straight enough without risking harm to the vehicle or the adjuster.

What is the size of your puller? I think I used a 6" puller, but may have used an 8". I think too small will give some trouble.

Also, don't be afraid to hold the puller straight vertical, just use gloves and common sense.

It's a 6" puller so perhaps it is a tad bit too small. So did you hold that puller straight the entire time you cranked. I think it would be a hell of alot easier with two people- maybe I'll get my bro to hold it straight while I crank.
THanks!

OK guys, I got it!! :D
Instead of using the gear puller, I actually ended up using a 2 ton bottle jack. THe head of the jack fit the niche precisely and was extremely dependable- I would suggest using this method instead of using the gear puller.
Thanks V8BoatBuilder for the advice!

I changed my torsion bars without any puller. My friend Ford Shop Foreman told me that a puller shouldn' be necessary.

Be sure to have the vehicle high enough on jack stands to allow the lower control arms to swing down. Remove the upper ball joint bolt. This allows the spindle and lower control arm to swing down. This will relieve the pressure from the torsion bar. Good luck,
Don W

Holy smokes! I still have the passenger side to do so maybe I'll try that out. Thanks!

Back