Torsion Bar Removal for Lower Control Arm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bar Removal for Lower Control Arm

jbowden718

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
Hey guys, I'm going to tackle replacing my lower control arms this weekend since the bushings in my driver' side lower arm are shot. I figured I would just replace them in pairs. In preparation of tackling the job I've been reading up on how to remove the torsion bars in order to accomplish this.

Some of the members here prefer to use a special tool in order to remove the torsion bar while some others have posted that so long as you jack the vehicle up high enough and let the lower arm swing all the way down you do no need to use the puller. All you have to do is scribe the placement of the adjustment bolts along with the bar's placement on the arm.

I just want to make sure I am covering my bases and since I will be doing the work on my friend's lift getting the arm to hang all the way down will not be a problem. Here's the link I found:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2318073&postcount=17

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You do need to remove the torsion bar to replace the arm. It will not just "hang" loose enough.

Be sure to mark the adjuster bolt before you remove it. Then remove the bolt.
!!!!!Reading beyond this point is at your own risk!!!!!
I have used a bottle jack, placed as far inboard on the key as possible, ( to the inside of the dimple) to "raise" the torsion key enough to get the adjuster block out. The slowly let down the jack, and the torsion bar is free. Try to "push" the block out without getting your fingers between the key and frame, as if the jack slips you will be in a chinese handcuff.

The Bottle jack method is very unstable and unsafe. I cannot "recommend" it. Several things can go wrong.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I was not clear enough. I know I will have to pull the torsion bar. It's really a question of method. The link I included utilizes a method without using a special puller. They just scribe the bolts and allow the arm to hang fully down in order to pull the torsion bar.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if I was not clear enough. I know I will have to pull the torsion bar. It's really a question of method. The link I included utilizes a method without using a special puller. They just scribe the bolts and allow the arm to hang fully down in order to pull the torsion bar.
Hmm, might work, but I think you will need to loosen ( not remove) the control arm bolts first-
Just be sure to rest the vehicle on it's weight before you torque the new control arm bolts--as the bushing will not have that much rotation to it.

I just did the same job on my friends 98 after we straightened his frame and e did it the same way on a lift.

Back