what's the best choice for lower control arms? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what's the best choice for lower control arms?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless they are rotted or bent I wouldn't change them with anything other than OEM. You're not going to get the quality and strength out of most replacements that you have now.

Unless they are rotted or bent I wouldn't change them with anything other than OEM. You're not going to get the quality and strength out of most replacements that you have now.

So if they're rotted or bent then non OEM is okay??

Post #4
Q- Are the control arms bent or rotted? If not just have the ball joints replaced.

A- i only knew the bushing's loose, the repair shop said the control arm need replace as well.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411446

You need to confirm if the LCA bushings are really worn. Difference between replacing LCA's or just ball joints is substantial.

You need to confirm if the LCA bushings are really worn. Difference between replacing LCA's or just ball joints is substantial.

gotta agree. the difference is substantial in time and money. why replace parts that aren't bad? an alignment shop will be able to check the bushings for not much cost, or maybe for free if they think they may get a job out of it. you're going to need to visit an alignment shop when you're done anyway.

Or just by the bushings and have the old ones pressed out and press the new ones in. Once again, a lot cheaper fix than the whole control arm.

So if they're rotted or bent then non OEM is okay??

I never said non OEM was ok. What I said was why would someone replace a factory LCA with something weaker if it weren't bent or rusted out and had to be replaced. If it were non usable I guess that would be their choice.

Yeah the bushings are bad

Or just by the bushings and have the old ones pressed out and press the new ones in. Once again, a lot cheaper fix than the whole control arm.

Since I'm hiring other people do it, the labor would be cheaper?

Since I'm hiring other people do it, the labor would be cheaper?

I doubt it, since the control arm has to be removed to remove the bushings. Replacement of entire control arm would involve less labor,

I doubt it, since the control arm has to be removed to remove the bushings. Replacement of entire control arm would involve less labor,

i mean the labor to replace the whole control arm would be cheaper, thats why i bought the whole LCA, and i could still sell the old LCA on crag or ebay:D

Back