Total Color Change-Interior and Exterior-Many Photos | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Total Color Change-Interior and Exterior-Many Photos

nice X man good job.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In regard to your questions about the application of the leather dye:
You can use their spray kit or your own or you can brush it on with a foam brush. The only difference is that brushing it on uses more solution but the results will be the same. I applied my dye using both methods. I applied two coats and was happy with the results. The foam brush helped me get into all the tight spots.
Also, if you get their air spray kit you will need 2 extra air cans per seat.
Very Important:
Get enough dye solution to do the entire job. If you run out and need to order more dye, chances are that the color will not match.
The 32 oz size dye colorant was enough for the two front seats and door panels. If you want to do the rear seats get the 64 oz size of dye colorant.

www.leatherworldtech.com

e7b.jpg

e7c.jpg

what about the carpet inside? was that the original color, or did u replace it?

The carpet is new and I bought it online from www.stockinteriors.com
It comes molded specific to your vehicle but it will still need to be trimmed so it can fit. For this part of the job you need to really take your time and measure twice, cut once.
Mine cost 119.95 plus shipping.

Awesome.....one more question....then im done....promise.....what about the seat belts...where can you find different colors of those?

Ask me all the questions you want.
That's what this forum is all about... getting answers to all your questions.
I tried to color the seat belts but that did not work... the seat belt material turned very, very stiff and was useless.
I decided to buy used seat belts in the color grey from: ped5stang@aol.com
Later I did find a company that sells them in black: www.thepartsbin.com
Expect to pay about 100 dollars for two seat belt assemblies.

I think what Im gonna do is get a full interior from the junk yard.....Gray...I cant stand the tan color or whatever it is in there now...it reminds me of an old mans truck

In response to your questions about the spray paint for the interior:

The products name is Krylon Fusion for Plastic and I think it is a pretty good product.
I completely disassembled the interior and washed everything down with soap and water. I let it dry thoroughly before giving it the first coat of spray paint. I let it dry for 12 hours and gave it another coat. I let it dry again for 12 hours and gave it a final heavier coat. After letting everything dry for one week I reassembled the interior. So far it is all holding up very, very well… this paint is very hard to scratch off.

PS
The dash was the only part that stayed in the truck. I covered the windshield and steering wheel before giving the dash several coats of paint. If I had to it again I would probably have the windshield taken out first and then spray the dash and have the windshield installed after the dash was completely dry.

k.jpg

Wow, amazing work. Well done, sir - I am impressed. Love the black interior.

I'm about to start a similar project and i was wondering what you did with your headliner? Did you paint it too, or did you just replace it? If you did remove it, was it easy enough to get off?

Wow man thats one of the coolest sports ive seen:thumbsup:

I cannot tell you how good that black interior looks! And I absolutely love that tone of blue on the exterior!

How is it all holding up a year later now?

I'm about to start a similar project and i was wondering what you did with your headliner? Did you paint it too, or did you just replace it? If you did remove it, was it easy enough to get off?

It was very easy to get off but you do need to be careful if you have a sunroof because it can easily bend in that area. Two people will work better to get it off.

I painted the headliner and it took three coats of paint but you need to know that it will turn the headliner very stiff. Since this is a beater truck I did not mind.

Wow man thats one of the coolest sports ive seen:thumbsup:

I cannot tell you how good that black interior looks! And I absolutely love that tone of blue on the exterior!

How is it all holding up a year later now?

So far so good, I only have a small area on my driver's seat that is showing a little wear but the rest of the interior is still a nice black.
:)

Hows the Macco paint job? Ive heard so many bad stories from them, but yours looks damn good!

Hows the Macco paint job? Ive heard so many bad stories from them, but yours looks damn good!

I am very happy to say that the Macco job is holding up very, very well. The truck has been waxed only two times and I can honesty say that upon inspection I cannot see any problems with the paint job even after one year.

Thats good to know, I will deff. be keeping that color in mind, im looking for an explorer again, but would prefer black, but it seems like over half the black ones I find are rust buckets, junk, or just not what I want, so if I can get it painted that cheap, that would be awesome.

Now I gotta ask another question:D, is the truck garage kept (Out of the weather and whatnot) or always outside? That would play a huge factor in the paints condition

Now I gotta ask another question:D, is the truck garage kept (Out of the weather and whatnot) or always outside? That would play a huge factor in the paints condition[/QUOTE]

The truck is always kept outside and if you have any more questions feel free to ask.
:)

Well thanks man for all the prompt responses, and once again your Ex is amazing!

I love that color and might just one day be getting something close to that :p:

thanks a lot. I ended up grabbing this stuff called Dupli-Color, there was a bunch of videos on it on you tube. I'm gonna go from a tan interior to charcoal gray with possibly some black accents.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The leather dye intrigues me. It looks like it turned out great.

Back