• Register Today It's free!

Totaled.....

Justawajz

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Mountaineer
So I was on my way to work.. went to merge onto route 2 and there was a jetta stopped in the merge lane.. I slowed down.. rolling about 5mph or so.. look in my side view mirror to see a chev van comming up fast.. I only had a sec to react so just braced myself.. She was txting and didnt see traffic stopped.. she swerved to the left but still hit the rear drivers side corner of my mountianeer and spun me alittle bit.. Now it dosnt look too bad and seems to still drive. From what I can see the drivers leaf spring looks a bit bent.. It may be the spring.. but I got hit pretty hard and pushd about 20ft so the frame may be bent... I get some shaking around 60.. and seems to be dripping diff fluid.. It is a 99 with some miles on it.. but everything is in great shape but I'm thinking there prob gonna total it... So I may buy it back.. I'm just so pissed.. I was just about to swap the block for a 347.. and now this......

GetAttachment.jpg

Oh and heres the stupid van that hit me.............. :mad:
GetAttachment2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That really sucks but hopefully the only injuries are to the vehicles....

That really sucks but hopefully the only injuries are to the vehicles....

Yeah same thing I said, everyone was ok.. no airbags deployed either. As much as I love my car I'd rather my car be totald then me...

I'm glad you and the other driver were not injured! Still sad about your Mounty...

Good to hear you are OK.

As for people texting and driving, I almost had a guy hit me head on last week while doing this. I've vowed that the next person that almost puts me off the road because they decide to text and drive is going to get followed and when they stop they are going to discuss it with me.

Thanks guys, I appreciate everyones concern. Really bummed about how this all played out. I took it to a body shop this morning and as I feared.. totaled.. I'm gonna try to buy it back and just get a salvage title. Way to much time/money invested in this thing to just trash it. Anyone know whats involved with getting a salvaged title on a vehicle...? I havnt a clue...

And Jon, whatever happened with your Mountaineer.. I thought I saw somthing about you selling it on here awhile back.. Yours was my insperation to do the 347. lol... Mabey I'll still will..... just depends how everything goes with the insurance company...

Hey sorry about the accident, texting while driving is just plain stupid. I just got a 99 explorer xlt and was looking to get some new wheels/rims for it and I hate to be a bother but actually really like your rims. Any chance you could give me model/size and maybe a link to where you got them? Thanks a bunch in advance and good luck with the car.

Alex

Yikes

Oh that just stinks, but any wreck you walk away from I guess.........

For salvage title. If your state is anything like Illinois, it will have a salvage title once you buy it back and that is not easy to get rid of. See if you could get a money settlement for less then total and less then damage, many insurance company's will go for it. Im not sure if you can even get plates anymoe on a salvage title. You would be ahead of the game because you would need to buy it back, and that means title transfer fees and plate fees, if you can get plates with a salvage. See what they offer you and tell them you can fix it yourself and ask them to make you an offer. I have done it before, they will play to save a buck.

Good luck,

Bob

Thanks guys, I appreciate everyones concern. Really bummed about how this all played out. I took it to a body shop this morning and as I feared.. totaled.. I'm gonna try to buy it back and just get a salvage title. Way to much time/money invested in this thing to just trash it. Anyone know whats involved with getting a salvaged title on a vehicle...? I havnt a clue...

And Jon, whatever happened with your Mountaineer.. I thought I saw somthing about you selling it on here awhile back.. Yours was my insperation to do the 347. lol... Mabey I'll still will..... just depends how everything goes with the insurance company...

I still have it. Want to talk?

When you do a salvage title in Kansas, you first get a non highway title, then you have to drive it to the highway patrol office nearest you for a title -vin re inspection. You then get the paperwork to apply for a salvage title.

Your sate may vary though. Kansas has no safety inspection at all. In fact I could have towed it in for the re inspection. The highway patrol officer only looked at numbers. I tried to show him the repaired damage and he didn't give a hoot.

I still have it. Want to talk?

When you do a salvage title in Kansas, you first get a non highway title, then you have to drive it to the highway patrol office nearest you for a title -vin re inspection. You then get the paperwork to apply for a salvage title.

Your sate may vary though. Kansas has no safety inspection at all. In fact I could have towed it in for the re inspection. The highway patrol officer only looked at numbers. I tried to show him the repaired damage and he didn't give a hoot.

hhhmmm.... I need to find out what the insurance people wanna do still.. There supposed to send somone out this week to do a appraisal and let me know. But it sounds like a salvage title might now be the way to go if you have to to through all that... Jon why do you wanna get rid of yours. With all that work into it..? Just want somthing new..?

Definitely don't let them give you a salvage title.

I seem to recall reading others comments about MD being very tough on motor vehicle stuff. I can't imagine it would be fun to get it "legal" again once it had a salvage title. Besides, even if you get it all fixed nice, and jump through all the hoops, it will always have a salvage "brand", hindering future resale. Best to insist on a clean title, even if you need accept a few hundred less from the insurance company to get it.

Even if the frame is tweaked, there isn't a whole lot of complex suspension geometery back there, It should be relatively easy for a decent body shop to pull it straight on a frame machine. I would be more concerned if it was the front.

hhhmmm.... I need to find out what the insurance people wanna do still.. There supposed to send somone out this week to do a appraisal and let me know. But it sounds like a salvage title might now be the way to go if you have to to through all that... Jon why do you wanna get rid of yours. With all that work into it..? Just want somthing new..?

Well, I have a Lovely bride and 2 trucks in my life. I love them all but one of them has to go

ifyaknowhatImean

Salvage is Bad

Like the man said, you dont want that. Chances are you will never get that off the title, you will not be able to get tags in Maryland and will end up parting it out or selling it as a salvage.

This info was easy to find, this is a little info from your home state.

My vehicle was declared salvage by an insurance company after an accident, but I have decided to keep the vehicle. Does this affect my title?

Insurance companies must report ALL "owner retention" of those vehicles with greater than 75% damages that are repairable, sustained 75% or greater in cosmetic damage, or the vehicle has sustained flood damage regardless of the age of the vehicle.

Note: You will receive a letter from the MVA advising you that your title needs to be submitted to the MVA for branding and in order to continue to operate the vehicle, you must submit a Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate within 90 days of the date of the notice or the registration will be suspended. This means that you must take the vehicle to an authorized Maryland Inspection Station for an inspection and obtain a Certificate of Inspection to submit to the MVA. Failure to comply will result in the suspension of the vehicle’s registration.

Once the Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate is submitted, the MVA will issue a corrected title that reflects the new inspection date and the notation “Rebuilt Salvage”. A $50.00 corrected title fee is charged for titles corrected as a result of an "owner retention". The corrected title will be mailed to you.

This is the link ---- http://www.mva.maryland.gov/AboutMVA/INFO/27300/27300-42T.htm

They make it all sound so easy but its not. Its just about impossible. Sounds to me like Maryland is the same as Illinois. Many years ago my neighbor bought a GTO at auction with a salvage title. He worked for a body shop and the car had minor body damage and was a flood victim. He repaired the body, replaced the interior, flushed all the fluids, cleaned and re undercoated the car. It was beautiful. After almost a year of paperwork with the state police, proving proof of ownership on every part that was installed, proving that nothing installed was from another salvage, proving he had proper state license to perform the work, proving no money was owed to anyone for any part installed or labor performed to restore the car, he was denied. He had to hire an attorney and file more paper work and he re applied a few more times before he finally sold it for a big loss as a salvage vehicle.

So the lesson here is, they dont take back a salvage title. Your best bet is to make a deal with the insurance company, get some low ball bids on the repairs and get a check.

Hope this help.

Bob

I seem to recall reading others comments about MD being very tough on motor vehicle stuff. I can't imagine it would be fun to get it "legal" again once it had a salvage title. Besides, even if you get it all fixed nice, and jump through all the hoops, it will always have a salvage "brand", hindering future resale. Best to insist on a clean title, even if you need accept a few hundred less from the insurance company to get it.

Even if the frame is tweaked, there isn't a whole lot of complex suspension geometery back there, It should be relatively easy for a decent body shop to pull it straight on a frame machine. I would be more concerned if it was the front.

Yeah.. I had a guy look at it at Ford(off the books) and he seems to think they will total it. The frame is bent alittle bit in very back by the bumper. The side quarter panel is whats screwing me over since it's all crumbled up.. I'm not touching a salvage title after hearing all this.. I'm glad you guys gave me the heads up. But there may be a glimmer of hope yet for me, I talked to the other peoples insurance adjustor and explained to her my situation. Told her how I had alot of money in the vehicle and have every intention on keeping it. I let her know I have receipts for alot of the work done and parts on the truck. So she's giving me a fax number to send in all my paper work and she'll send it up stairs to see if they approve it or not... Man I hope so...

Like the man said, you dont want that. Chances are you will never get that off the title, you will not be able to get tags in Maryland and will end up parting it out or selling it as a salvage.

This info was easy to find, this is a little info from your home state.

My vehicle was declared salvage by an insurance company after an accident, but I have decided to keep the vehicle. Does this affect my title?

Insurance companies must report ALL "owner retention" of those vehicles with greater than 75% damages that are repairable, sustained 75% or greater in cosmetic damage, or the vehicle has sustained flood damage regardless of the age of the vehicle.

Note: You will receive a letter from the MVA advising you that your title needs to be submitted to the MVA for branding and in order to continue to operate the vehicle, you must submit a Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate within 90 days of the date of the notice or the registration will be suspended. This means that you must take the vehicle to an authorized Maryland Inspection Station for an inspection and obtain a Certificate of Inspection to submit to the MVA. Failure to comply will result in the suspension of the vehicle’s registration.

Once the Maryland Safety Inspection Certificate is submitted, the MVA will issue a corrected title that reflects the new inspection date and the notation “Rebuilt Salvage”. A $50.00 corrected title fee is charged for titles corrected as a result of an "owner retention". The corrected title will be mailed to you.

This is the link ---- http://www.mva.maryland.gov/AboutMVA/INFO/27300/27300-42T.htm

They make it all sound so easy but its not. Its just about impossible. Sounds to me like Maryland is the same as Illinois. Many years ago my neighbor bought a GTO at auction with a salvage title. He worked for a body shop and the car had minor body damage and was a flood victim. He repaired the body, replaced the interior, flushed all the fluids, cleaned and re undercoated the car. It was beautiful. After almost a year of paperwork with the state police, proving proof of ownership on every part that was installed, proving that nothing installed was from another salvage, proving he had proper state license to perform the work, proving no money was owed to anyone for any part installed or labor performed to restore the car, he was denied. He had to hire an attorney and file more paper work and he re applied a few more times before he finally sold it for a big loss as a salvage vehicle.

So the lesson here is, they dont take back a salvage title. Your best bet is to make a deal with the insurance company, get some low ball bids on the repairs and get a check.

Hope this help.

Bob

Yeah, you've made my mind up on NOT getting a salvage title. I'm pretty much doing what you described. Trying to get the insurance company to work with me alittle bit.. They may let me add in some of my aftermarket parts to avoid the truck being totaled.. I'm suppose to meet with there adjuster possibley tomorrow..?? And really, Thanks for all the advice.. That could of been a HUGE mistake on my part.

Well, I have a Lovely bride and 2 trucks in my life. I love them all but one of them has to go

ifyaknowhatImean

I hear ya man. Family comes first, I'm the same way. We'll see how everything goes on my end. But in the end if theres nothing I can do with my truck. I may be interested in what you got. I'll let you know

Told her how I had alot of money in the vehicle and have every intention on keeping it. I let her know I have receipts for alot of the work done and parts on the truck. So she's giving me a fax number to send in all my paper work and she'll send it up stairs to see if they approve it or not... Man I hope so...

Document, document, document. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate!
Your receipts may get you some extra breathing room if you want to keep the truck, or extra cash if, in the end, it is not worth the hassle to keep it.
Just because they want to total your truck does not mean you can not negotiate with them. If this was your insurance company and the accident was your fault that would be one thing, but this accident was not your fault and you should not have to suffer a financial loss due to the other parties inattention. You should get fair market value of the vehicle plus your add-ons minus some depreciation on those parts depending upon the age of them.
(Be sure to state that you feel like you are unjustly suffering a financial loss due to their customers inattention) This helped me a little in the past.

And just one other thing that you may not be aware of. Your insurance company has a fiduciary duty to represent you in ALL transactions having to do with this accident. Thats what you paid them for, to represent you in case of an accident and pay claims made.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And just one other thing that you may not be aware of. Your insurance company has a fiduciary duty to represent you in ALL transactions having to do with this accident. Thats what you paid them for, to represent you in case of an accident and pay claims made.

Your absoultly right... I've come to the conclusion that my insurance adjustor is completly worthless.. I've only heard from her one time during this whole ordeal.. I've left multiple messages for her.. Shes apperently never in the office.. I've been the one getting in contact with the other persons insurance.. setting up appointments of meet with their adjustor. Having a proper estamate done and faxing all my paper work to them, and possible rental car arangments... She hasnt done a damn thing for me.. Makes me wonder why I pay them...

Back