Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can the factory look upgrade kit sold on ebay that was on this thread be used for a 2016? I want to add a hitch to my suv and make it as stock as possible and saw the video of the guy cutting out the rear bumper
If the rear bumper has been changed for the 2016 model, that video on the cut out may not apply. Hopefully a member that has experience with both the 2016 and earlier models can better answer that question. Keep in mind that the tow rating as an aftermarket hitch will probably be 2000 lbs and not 5000 lbs.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm planning on tackling this installation on my 2016 limited. Can anyone confirm that BB5Z-19D520-AA fits the 2016 EX? I climbed under the truck today and all the mounting points look to be the same. Just do t want to deal with shipping it back if it's not the right one.

I think I've confirmed that this is the fascia I need with the cutout:
http://accessories.ford.com/exterior/covers-and-protectors/cover-11325.html

Hmmmmm....wonder if that's the same hitch just w/out the 2011-15 fascia plastic. I guess we'll find out!

I added a Ford towing hitch to my 2015 Interceptor. I bought mine from the local Ford Dealer and the hitch included the new facia, hidden hitch, and wiring harness, and all the hardware needed to complete the install.
It was a fairly easy install that I did by myself and the completed install looks totally stock.
ord%20Interceptor%20%203-26-2016%20064_zpsugabb41c.jpg

I added a Ford towing hitch to my 2015 Interceptor. I bought mine from the local Ford Dealer and the hitch included the new facia, hidden hitch, and wiring harness, and all the hardware needed to complete the install.
It was a fairly easy install that I did by myself and the completed install looks totally stock.
Just keep in mind that you will be limited to the 2000 lb towing weight.

Peter

Just keep in mind that you will be limited to the 2000 lb towing weight.

Peter
With the PI package, he's good to go on the transmission and oil coolers. That plus bigger brakes, and you can probably bump that up to 3500# or so.

Remember... The towing limits are set more by lawyers than by physics and engineering.

Confirmed! Delivery arrived today. GB5Z-19D520-A Is the 2016 hitch part #. Only difference appears to be that the 2011-15 black plastic fascia isn't included. I previously linked to the 2016 limited fascia part number. Those with base, sport, or platinum will need to order their respective fascia part #.

I'm installing this weekend. Is anyone interested in seeing the process? I can document the differences between the 2011-15 install if you like.

Confirmed! Delivery arrived today. GB5Z-19D520-A Is the 2016 hitch part #. Only difference appears to be that the 2011-15 black plastic fascia isn't included. I previously linked to the 2016 limited fascia part number. Those with base, sport, or platinum will need to order their respective fascia part #.

I'm installing this weekend. Is anyone interested in seeing the process? I can document the differences between the 2011-15 install if you like.

Yes please.... i just purchased a 2016 Explorer XLT w 202A package but completely forgot about the tow....
I would really appreciate it.

Yes, please document. I am considering a hitch addition to a 2013 Interceptor SUV. THANK YOU.

Hi. We found a 2017 Explorer XLT in Blue Jeans Metallic at a dealer yesterday, and brought it home last night. I now need to add a tow hitch to it. I want to double check and make sure I have all the parts I need to order. I'm hoping a Ford rep or someone with knowledge of this will let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks in advance for your time.

GB5Z-17K835-AA - Ford Explorer Fascia - Rear, Carbon Black, For Base Model
GB5Z-19D520-A - Ford Explorer Trailer Hitch
BB5Z-15A416-A - Ford Explorer Trailer Hitch Wiring Harness - 4 Pin Connector
GB5Z-14B291-D - Ford Explorer Liftgate Module Hands-Free (this vehicle has the hands-free liftgate, and from the parts site it appears I need an extra sensor when equipping a hitch, as there is a sensor on each side of the hitch)

Welcome to the Forum mclark. :wave:
As noted in post 2 of this thread, there is more that is included with the factory tow package. Also note that the tow rating will only be 2000 lbs with the aftermarket package.
If by "Ford rep" you are referring to the FordService reps here, they will not have the info that you seek as that isn't their job here on the Forum but there are a few members, I believe, that have worked for Ford or that have service manuals. Not familiar with the "extra" sensors that you mention but will have to check that out. Are you sure they aren't the regular 'proximity' sensors?

Edit: added number "2" (post 2)

Peter

Welcome to the Forum mclark. :wave:
As noted in post of this thread, there is more that is included with the factory tow package. Also note that the tow rating will only be 2000 lbs with the aftermarket package.
If by "Ford rep" you are referring to the FordService reps here, they will not have the info that you seek as that isn't their job here on the Forum but there are a few members, I believe, that have worked for Ford or that have service manuals. Not familiar with the "extra" sensors that you mention but will have to check that out. Are you sure they aren't the regular 'proximity' sensors?

Peter

I have had this modification done on my old Explorer, it's just been awhile so I wanted to double-check the part list, since this is a newer vehicle and it has the assist liftgate. I realize the towing capacity is lower, but I don't tow anything huge so that's ok. My old setup worked perfectly so I am looking to do it again.

I am looking to add OEM hitch/bumper rebar to my 14 Exp Sport. What wiring part number do I need?
My car has backup sensors keyless entry, push start, remore start. The issue that I am runing in,.is that I see two options online - one with ID card and one without.
What is ID card?

My 2012 4WD Explorer w/V-6 eng did not have the towing package.
I have added a class 3 hitch 5000# rated.
Has anybody added an after market transmission cooler only ( no larger radiator) & did it help.
I will be towing a 3000# U-haul trailer from Denver CO to Flagstaff AZ, many grades to climb.
My estimated cost to install is $350. for the cooler and labor.
Is it worth the expense or is it not necessary for one trip?

Only with the factory installed tow package is the Explorer rated for 5000 lbs. With the aftermarket one, even if OEM, it is only rated for towing 2000 lbs. The factory install also adds the TOW button which governs the transmission and TRAILER SWAY CONTROL. Those Explorers also have a different transmission from what I've read here.
I found this tread using the Forum's handy 'Search' function. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/transmission-cooler.385626/

Peter

Only the factory installed tow package is the Explorer rated for 5000 lbs. With the aftermarket one, even if OEM, it is only rated for towing 2000 lbs. The factory install also adds the TOW button which governs the transmission and TRAILER SWAY CONTROL. Those Explorers also have a different transmission from what I've read here.
I found this tread using the Forum's handy 'Search' function. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/transmission-cooler.385626/

Peter

Those of us with sport model, have right transmission, brakes, radiator, trans cooler and can use padle shifters to control trans if towing something heavy; car has stability control for sway control... only thing is missing is a hitch.

Those of us with sport model, have right transmission, brakes, radiator, trans cooler and can use padle shifters to control trans if towing something heavy; car has stability control for sway control... only thing is missing is a hitch.
All models after a certain time during the 2013 production run have the same brakes. Also, all 5th generation models have "ADVANCETRAC WITH ROLL STABILITY CONTROL™ (RSC)
STABILITY ENHANCEMENT SYSTEM". That is not a replacement for Trailer Sway Control which is an option and has some different functions.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just bought a 2016 xlt without a tow package i plan to buy the kit and install the hitch and wiring harness for it but the thing i would like to know is there anything else ford puts on the vehicle for towing and how necessary is it

Back