Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hello All,

I just recently purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited with the 3.5l V6 engine. The vehicle has a class III aftermarket hitch attached under the rear bumper, however there is NOT a “TOW” button under the headlamp switch, and no engine oil cooler. My questions are focused around towing. I would like to eventually tow a travel trailer ranging between 2500-4000lbs (not yet purchased).

I noticed in another thread that a gentleman with a 2013 Explorer Sport merely installed a TOW switch on his own and everything seemed to work. Would this be possible with my Limited Edition Explorer? Is the software already in the vehicle to support this? There are already accessible options for Trailer Anti-Sway, this leads me to believe that the software is present. I believe I would need to purchase the button assembly, panel that would fit the buttons, and possibly a wiring harness (not sure of this)?

Regardless of if I could install the “TOW” button myself, I think I would still need an engine oil cooler. So a few questions on this.

1. I believe the OEM engine oil cooler is a plate cooler in that it uses the engine’s cooling system to remove heat from the oil. Would this still work with the radiator I have or would I need a larger one with more cooling capacity? (I really do not want to swap out a radiator) How do I know which radiator I have? Also is there a diagram somewhere that shows where to patch in the engine oil cooler into the cooling system?

2. I noticed that there are quite a few aftermarket engine oil coolers that merely screw onto the oil filter receptor and then move the oil into a radiator of its own. If I were to go this route how adversely would it affect engine performance starting and running on cold days in the north east?
The varying amounts of information I have read on this subject are pretty baffling so any insight on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance
Mike T.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Add an electronic trailer brake controller to your list of necessary items.

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
With an aftermarket class III hitch the Explorer is only rated to tow 2000 lbs. An Explorer with the factory installed tow package also receives a different transmission and a bigger radiator in addition to what you have mentioned.

73's Peter

Something to think about when installing aftermarket hitches-

The major reason I wanted an Explorer with the tow package was not just to get the hitch and the cooler but the socket under the dash to plug in the trailer brake controller was a bonus. I just pulled off the panel under the steering wheel, located the six pin plug, snapped in my harness for my Tekonsha Prodigy P2, drilled two small holes for the mounting bracket (it almost made me cry defacing my new Explorer that way), hooked the Tekonsha up, put the panel back and BINGO! I’m ready to pull that new travel trailer we’re looking at.

Now eight years ago I installed a 2” hitch and wiring for a trailer brake controller and the seven pin trailer socket on my Honda Element and it was not fun. The kit from etrailer included all I needed for the installation but the power to the trailer was always on meaning that when driving the car was keeping the trailer battery charged but when the engine was off if I didn’t pull the plug to the camper it would suck the Honda’s battery dry after a couple of hours (assuming the refrigerator was on – gotta keep the beer cold). With the Ford harness when the engine is off so is the power to the camper. I love it!

Something to think about when installing aftermarket hitches-
The other is that many owners think that installing an aftermarket class III hitch will give them the ability to tow 5000 lbs but it doesn't. Only the factory installed one will. There have been several owners who found that out after the fact. 2000 lbs is the legal limit for such an installation. It has been brought up quite a few times here.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
With an aftermarket class III hitch the Explorer is only rated to tow 2000 lbs. An Explorer with the factory installed tow package also receives a different transmission and a bigger radiator in addition to what you have mentioned.

73's Peter

Peter,

Forgive my ignorance, I am a little confused by your statement. When you say that it is only rated for 2000lbs, is that assuming that there is no WDH, or cooling? The manual states that I can have a max trailer weight of 5040lbs using a WDH. Its doesn't say anything about using a factory installed Class III. I am just struggling to get a firm understanding of all the variables involved in safe towing and their limits.

Also what transmission is used in the towing package? I have to 6F50. Is there any way to identify what radiator I have?

Thanks
Mike T.

Hey Mike. The standard rad is 19mm thick while the one that comes with the tow package is 26mm. Those with the OEM tow package also have a cut out in the lower right side of the bumper/valance with an air duct for cooling. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...sport-under-front-bumper.387086/#post-3161192 and post #8. The transmission used with the tow package is 6F55. I also checked my current Platinum with tow to my previous 2011 Limited without tow and see that the axle ratio with tow is 3.16 and without it was 3.39.
There are several posts that confirm the even with an aftermarket class III hitch that the maximum towing weight is 2000 lbs. I'll see what more I can find here on that.
You can use this site to check what you Explorer has although there is no mention of the radiator. https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Peter

Peter,

Forgive my ignorance, I am a little confused by your statement. When you say that it is only rated for 2000lbs, is that assuming that there is no WDH, or cooling? The manual states that I can have a max trailer weight of 5040lbs using a WDH. Its doesn't say anything about using a factory installed Class III.

Mike T.
Just checked the Towing Guide and it does have the following notation when talking about Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight;
(3) Requires optional Class III Trailer Tow Package and weight-distributing hitch. I take that to mean factory ordered option since the 'package' is much more than just the hitch.. Not being one that is overly familiar with towing, I must have picked up the 2000 lb limit with an aftermarket hitch from someone on the Forum. It isn't something I just pulled out of the air.

Peter

Hey Mike. The standard rad is 19mm thick while the one that comes with the tow package is 26mm. Those with the OEM tow package also have a cut out in the lower right side of the bumper/valance with an air duct for cooling. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...sport-under-front-bumper.387086/#post-3161192 and post #8. The transmission used with the tow package is 6F55. I also checked my current Platinum with tow to my previous 2011 Limited without tow and see that the axle ratio with tow is 3.16 and without it was 3.39.
There are several posts that confirm the even with an aftermarket class III hitch that the maximum towing weight is 2000 lbs. I'll see what more I can find here on that.
You can use this site to check what you Explorer has although there is no mention of the radiator. https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Peter

Wow, thanks for doing that leg work for me. Although I must admit I am a bit discouraged with only being able to tow 2000lbs now.

Wow, thanks for doing that leg work for me. Although I must admit I am a bit discouraged with only being able to tow 2000lbs now.
The axle ratio numbers I showed are likely different because the Platinum has the Ecoboost engine and not related to the tow package. I'm also hoping someone can jump in and explain the 2000 lb limited with an aftermarket hitch.

[QUOTE="peterk9, post: 3615452, member: 163604]The transmission used with the tow package is 6F55. I also checked my current Platinum with tow to my previous 2011 Limited without tow and see that the axle ratio with tow is 3.16 and without it was 3.39.[/QUOTE]
As per etis.ford.com my 2017 Base Explorer has the 6F55 transmission and a 3.65 final drive.

We found a 2011 gently used! However, it did not have the towing package.

I'd like to add a class 3 hitch for 5000 lb capacity and 7-wire harness. I'd love to make this look as factory as possible.

Anyone been there, done that? How'd it go? What was used? Did you mod the rear bumper cover or replace it?

Anyone have pics to post of their non-factory hitch installation?

Regards,
Todd
It's likely just an aftermarket receiver hitch that will mount below the rear bumper. I ordered mine and had it installed at U-Haul for $220 (hitch plus installation). The factory option is much cleaner and includes the engine oil cooler plus 4 and 7 pin wiring. Are they adding in the wiring in the $350 price? I did not add wiring as I only use mine for a bike rack. U-Haul quoted $100 for wiring.
if I buy the dealer factory tow bar kit and install in mine that it doesn’t have the tow package how much can I tow without damaging my truck

if I buy the dealer factory tow bar kit and install in mine that it doesn’t have the tow package how much can I tow without damaging my truck
Welcome to the Forum Jason.:wave:
It will be rated to legally tow 2000 lbs. Those with the factory tow package have a different transmission in addition to other items.

Peter

That’s fine I just want to tow, motorcycles, and jets ski jets nothing crazy. If I do tow anything more then 2k how do I do it so it don’t damage my truck ?

It will be rated to legally tow 2000 lbs. Those with the factory tow package have a different transmission in addition to

Who use the word “legally “? I never said anything about legally or laws. I just ask if I can do it without damaging my truck

Right, wrong, or indifferent, a lot of people tow with pass cars that have a tow rating of ZERO. Some people don't care and just do it. Some change fluids more frequently when towing, others don't. Some add accessory trans/oil coolers, others don't. If you're worried, grab a cheap scan tool ($50-100) that does live data monitoring so you can watch your actual coolant/oil/trans temps while towing.

There's no way to guarantee you won't damage your vehicle, but that's just how life is. Even with a towing package, there's no guarantee you won't damage your vehicle either (but, you may have warranty to help out though).

As far as legality, it's probably not a bad idea to check/comply with your state/local laws.

It will be rated to legally tow 2000 lbs. Those with the factory tow package have a different transmission in addition to other items.

Peter
My truck doesn’t have a tow package but in the setting there is this what is this for

50FE53E8-106F-45C1-98A3-E5377CD97A14.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing that some of the features are common to all Explorers whether they actually them or not. In my 2011 Limited there was a setting in the display for either "tow" or "sway control", can't remember which and the vehicle did not have the factory tow package. It's one way to cut down on expenses from Ford's end.

Peter

Back