• Register Today It's free!

tow strap rating?

patrick112390

Reaction score
City, State
Alpharetta ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' mountaineer 5.0 4406
im in the market for a new tow strap, i have done my homework so i know i wont get..autozone 12', one with hooks, under 20 feet.... what is the recommended break strength to buy one of these things? theres one ime lookin at thats a 15,000 lb and its a 3''x20' you think i would need bigger than that ? (4''30'? heres the one im thinkin about
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...Track=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

whats everyone else runnin? length and break strengh..... all input appreciated :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ggood christ! that would be nice!, but being i jr. in high school, i dont think i can afford a $200 tow strap! lol any budget tow straps?... the best one i can find is a 4''x30' 20,000 lb for about $28 bucks... now thats my kinda deal! :thumbsup: or :thumbdwn: guys?

:thumbsup: Go for it bro

i mean, can i really need any more than that? my hooks are rated at 10,000 lbs so i think they would be ripped from the frame 4 that broke! lol

I recomend a high rating because when your offroading sometimes the strap may be rubbing a sharp rock or a tree when your using it, and that could break the strap before your tow hooks come off

TRUE...i think i will have to just keep an eye on that.... like how i will always drape my shirt over the rope... incase it breaks-to dampen the recoil...

its like you put a towel or something close to both tow points, so if it breaks at the point of tow, the recoil will hit the towl on the way back-slowing the recoil dramatically... just what i read somewhere havent had it happen to me.

Personally I would carry a few different ones, I carry a 2"x20', a 3"x30', a 2"x6' treesaver. The 2"x20' is rated for 20K lbs and the 3"x30' is rated for 30K lbs. Often times the 3x30' is a bit too long for most situations. Most times the cheap yellow ones with loops are sufficient. The only one that isn't is my 3"x30" Procomp that I bought when they were really cheap 2 years ago.

i may get a cheasey one down the road like a 15'... when the funds are comin in... :D

I am running as my main 3"x30' 30k and it has worked great for me....if its to long just double it up....

got mine from 4wheelparts.com, I think when I got mine it was under $30 but can't member...http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT270249.aspx now its $35

MASTERPULLS super yankers are nice, but the are meant to be yanked, they have a high stretch factor to them so you that it is like a rubber band effect to use all momentum and some pulling power of the rope....its nice for mud and what not but if you need to be pulled over something and not yanked out other straps with less stretch work better I think...just my opinion

Heck i just have one, i have a fully stock ex so my offroad ability is very limited, so i have a 30' with a break strength of around 10,000lbs

Heck i just have one, i have a fully stock ex so my offroad ability is very limited, so i have a 30' with a break strength of around 10,000lbs

have you had to do any yank-pullin with it?

I have a pair of 2 x 20 x 20,000, and have done a decent amount of pulling with them. Nothing super difficult, but they have gotten a bit of a workout. I got them here:

http://www.rvandvansurplus.com/towstraps.asp?Vehicletype=TruckSUV#

$15 each. I do believe shipping was like $9 for them, but to get 2 20,000 pounders for $40 is a great deal, IMO.

I have two in the X.. a 30k and a 20k strap. Both are 20ft long. I had a 30 ft one before but unless your dealing with mud or water crossing its just too long. Oh yea.. both are from Desert Rat I believe (I know my new one is, I'm not 100% sure on the first one).

If I end up pulling someone or getting pulled (from the rear) I just leave the strap on the back of the truck.. then if I need to get pulled I put the other one on the front of the X.

~Mark

i know this is an old thread, but i used a 3"x30'x30,000# strap to pull a F-350 PSD out of a ditch. i was yankin on it hard. i think its an ericson? from TSC. ~$35-40. its a good strap. i have a 2"x20'x20,000# strap that i used to pull my 1st car home a couple times, never really yanked on it, but it gets the job done.

Back