• Register Today It's free!

Towing cross country

TexasBlack6

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I need to use my 97 XLT 4.0 V6 to tow my Mazda MX-6 from GA to TX. The bumper tells me max tongue weight is 350 lbs and total max weight is 3500 lbs. My owner manual tells me the maximum Gross Combined Weight Rating is 4082lbs or 4535, depending on the gear ratio (which I don't know). And the Trailer Weight Range is 0 to 2086lbs or 0 to 2540lbs, depending on the gear ratio.

My MX6 weights:
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating = 3680 lbs
Front Gross Axle Weight Rating = 2160 lbs
Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating = 1545 lbs
(it's front wheel drive so it needs to face fwd)

I'll be travelling most of the way on I-10 which is fairly level.

What equipment do I need to get this job done? My bumper is equipped with the hole for the ball hitch.

What else do I need to know before I make this trip?

I know I'm supposed to turn the 4X4 to off. It's ok to use OD as long as it seems to stay in gear, right?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd just use a 5,000lb rated ball with the correct size shank for your bumper hole and you should be okay. Those bumpers have to be a little underrated at 350lbs T and 3,500lbs Max. It's think it's more like 400lbs T and 4,000lbs max.

I don't know if I would tow (another vehicle) with the bumper. Although the 350lbs may be ok, that is a consistant 350lbs (not considering extreme bumps which may exert as much as 500lbs of pressure. Just my .02 but I would get a class III hitch and be safe. Good luck.

Let's pretend I'm retarded and don't know what a class III hitch is. Describe it to me.

Or somebody just buy my Explorer or MX-6 and save me the headache.

TexasBlack6 said:
Let's pretend I'm retarded and don't know what a class III hitch is. Describe it to me.

It is mounted to the frame of the vehicle and is rated to tow up to 5,000lbs. and 500lb. tongue weight. The frame mounted hitch is much more secure than the bumper IMO. I wouldn't use the bumper to tow another car on a trailer.

Hitches come in class I, II, or III configurations. You want a III. For that long of a distance, pay the $115 or so and get a hitch. Its a cheap investment that will make towing easier, safer, and save your truck some wear and tear. I recommend etrailer.com I got my Hidden Hitch Tubular class III from them for around $105 last summer. Its nice because it doesn't hardly stick out at all like normal hitches do below the bumper. All you see is the receiver, which for me is normally plugged with a hitch plug that says "Remove to tow Dodges." :) They're easy to install too. Don't cheap out for that long of a trip, get a hitch.

Regarding turning off 4WD, if you have a 97 you don't have any way to turn off 4WD unless you do the brown wire mod. Make sure to turn off OD when you see a hill or anything ahead that will make the truck bog down in OD. And be sure to give yourself PLENTY of braking distance, it takes a lot to stop an Explorer with a heavy trailer. Good luck.

I have a 94 XLT with 125k's on it. I towed a 82CJ5 from Indianpolis to California with a wife and kid and trunk full of luggage. The X is stock, running 3.73's and she did fine, just accept the fact that you're not gonna make great time and you're good to go. Oh yeah, I was using the factory bumper for towing too.

:chug: :chug:

I'd be leary of towing anything heavy that distance with a v6 explorer. Buy a tranny cooler first, and you might not have to rebuild it.

Yeah I'm getting nervous about it too. I think I'm just going to end up driving the MX-6 and then flying back to get the Explorer. It means two trips, but I'd rather do that than ruin the transmission.

Thanks guys.

I towed my dads pickup(probably 4000 tops) less that 15 miles and smoked a transmission with less than 20k on it. I can't guarantee it wasn't a shoddy rebuild, but it was done at a highly reputable shop, which I have had good luck with in the past.

well guess I'm just lucky, made it over 3000 miles with the CJ attached and never had a problem. I changed the tranny fluid at 2000 miles into the tow, and it's still pink.

:chug: :chug:

what does the CJ weigh?

I towed a 3,500 pound U-Haul trailer from Milwaukee to Lawrence, Kansas and that was almost 650 miles. My tranny is fine, the fluid was fine. And I don't have a tranny cooler, though I would get one if I towed on a regular basis.

Another option would be trucking it. I've heard that you can truck a vehicle a pretty good distance for a couple hundred dollars. Might be worth it, rather then flying back and driving all over again.

Well, my dad happens to work for Delta, so I can fly free. It'll just be the gas money and time.

Thanks for the info though guys.

How many miles is the trip? I'm not saying it can't be done. If I were going to do it I would add a receiver hitch and a tranny cooler with a fluid change. What's your gearing?

First off, do not tow it from the bumper! The bumper is fine for lightweight (class 1 & II) loads, but not for towing another vehicle! Go buy a class III hitch and use it, and make sure you have all the safety chains hooked up. I run a set from the X to the towbar, and a set from the towbar to my Sammy.

Secondly, get a tranny cooler! It will save a lot of wear and tear on your transmission.

Third, when you tow the vehicle, make sure you have the proper drop tongue so that the tow bar is as flat as possible. This helps with applying the load properly, and it will handle better if you need to do some emergency manuvering.

Finally, make sure you get some auxiliary towing lights. These lights plug into the trailer wiring harness in your X and you put them on the back of the towed vehicle so the people behind you know when you are stopping and turning.

Your truck should tow it quite nicely. I tow my Samurai all over the place behind my X and it works very well. At highway speed it's hard to tell it's back there. One of the biggest things to remember if you are flat towing the vehicle (all four wheels of the towed vehicle on the ground) is that you will not be able to back up with the vehicle attached, so plan where you go carefully!!

Good Luck! Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I've done a LOT of towing with my X's

Unfortunately you never mentioned the weight of the Mazda and tow dolly. It's the curb weight that is interesting. You just provided us with maximum weight ratings of the Mazda.

Lot depends on your driving style. Take it slow is the key. If not everybody is passing you you are going to fast. You should see the middle finger at least once an hour. :) Not turning on the airconditioner might help and turning on the heat might help even more although that might be overkill. Also don't load anything into the X or Mazda. That will help keeping the weight down.

TexasBlack6 said:
Well, my dad happens to work for Delta, so I can fly free. It'll just be the gas money and time.

Thanks for the info though guys.

With that just go and fly back. You really don't want to install a transmission cooler and a hitch just for this one trip.

BTW can you get me a couple of round trip tickets from DSM to STR? :)

Back