Towing Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing Question

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

depends on the axle gears, check your owners manual

Check your owners manual or Haines for max tow cap on the 99XLT. As far as set up goes...depends on what your pulling and how heavy! Lets assume you have a large boat or travel trailer...at the least you'll need a class III tow hitch. Now depending on both tongue and trailer weight, your gonna want electric brakes (which will require a brake contoller), and stabilizer bars/ weight distribution hitch to help control sway/distribute weight evenly. Depending on state law you may also need a breakaway system.

other things that come in handy : Extended sideview mirrors, helper springs for rear suspension, and if you have automatic transmission a larger tranny cooler.

Now, as far as what the X can handle....quite a bit IMO. More than the suggested max from Ford ! I'm not encourage you to pull more than max...because the safty of yourself and others would be at risk. Just use good judgement, don't bite off more than the X or the driver can handle. I have a '94' 2dr sport...and it handles my 24'...3500lbs TT just fine. Of course I have eveything that I have listed above and more. I pulled it 1300 miles from Dallas to San Diego once...65MPH the whole way. The stabilizer bars are the key to control with a big camper IMO.
Sure I'm probablly leaving something out, but maybe someone else can chime in !!!

I just bought the 2000 X used, and there was no manual in the glove box so I don't have any of that info. I would like to tow my Grand Prix to drag racing events across the country several times a year.

it should have the power. but you are going to need what pro suggested, brakes, weight distributing hitch and stabilizer bars and most importantly a big tranny cooler

Well, I assume if your Prix is set for drag...you will be using a flatbed, not a tow dolly :D Your X will be fine, no problem. Do you have a trailer already ? Is it wired for elec brakes? I would def recommend elec brakes...especially if your gonna be towing that amount of distance...it will be much safer if you ever have to stop suddenly ! Stabilizers will make your trips much more enjoyable, you'll probably forget the trailer's even back there...stabilizer bars= no sway. You probably won't need the helper springs or the extended mirrors. Are you auto...with that kind of miles, you will most definitly want an aftermarket tranny cooler. If your manual like me, I'd think about an HD clutch. Either way keep in mind you'll be putting added stress on the engine and transmission, things will wear out much faster. When I'm driving/towing any amount of distance I always go prepared..ie...Xtra radiator hoses, fan belt, t-stat, relays, fluids,spares, air, water, 3T jack, and so on. Hope this helps out...I've been towing for years....so if you have any Q's just ask. Don't sweat it though, your X is more than capable of handling what you have in mind!!!

I don't have a trailer yet, so I want to make sure I have what I need. As far as the Prix, it's a 2004, and is a daily driver during the summer, so it is not completely race preped. It's stock weight is about 3700 lbs, but will go through some weight reduction prior to heading out to a track.

Any suggested trans cooler? And my X is an Auto, and has about 45K miles on it. It came with a short warranty on it, and turned out to have a bad head gasket on it, so the head gaskets were both replaced last week.

Thanks for all the help

Robert

Never owned an automatic!!! But from other friends who also tow boats/TT's/toys and from members here, I can tell ya that if you plan on frequent towing you'll need the tranny cooler without a doubt. My suggestion would be to try Summit Racing or Jegs...for best deals, maybe someone with an auto and aftermarket cooler will chime in here. Try a search here on the site for tranny coolers...I know it's been discussed.
As for trailers...you could always go with a cheap car dolly it would do the job. I don't know your plans for the Prix, but most dragsters I know, wouldn't even think about using anything short of a flatbed to tow their pride and joy. I'd look for a light... but durable trailer equipped with electric brakes.

Also...if you don't already have one for your X, I'd get a Haines or Chilton Manual...think it covers 91-2001 in one edition. Much better than the factory manual anyways..IMO
Jason

Back