TPMS reads 1 PSI for repaired tire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS reads 1 PSI for repaired tire

weegeordie

Reaction score
City, State
King City, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT Sport U
I had a screw removed from my tire. Now the TPMS reads 1 psi for that tire.

I tried putting more air in the tire and driving for 10 minutes. No change.

I tried resetting the TPMS system. I found a few youtube versions and ended up with the following:
Brake 3 seconds
igntion button on 3 times
brake 3 seconds
ignition off
start button on 3 times ( it beeped)
ignition off (2 beeps

Display still shows 1 psi in the repaired tire

Is there a different procedure to reset the TPMS? Is it possible there is something else wrong?

Thanks ...george

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did they use any sealant? I suspect the sensor is bad. I’d assume it’d throw an error if it wasn’t talking to the sensor.

Did they use any sealant? I suspect the sensor is bad. I’d assume it’d throw an error if it wasn’t talking to the sensor.
I don't know about sealant. They didn't replace the sensor. They took a screw out of the tread and plugged it.

I had a different sensor go bad a couple of months back and it gives a very different error. Three -'s and a FAILURE message.

It gives a different message if it’s not talking to the car. The pressure sensing portion of the sensor could fail, and the communications could still function.

Your sensor isn’t necessarily good because it’s not showing the failure message.

I don't know about sealant. They didn't replace the sensor. They took a screw out of the tread and plugged it.

I had a different sensor go bad a couple of months back and it gives a very different error. Three -'s and a FAILURE message.
You could always go back to the dealer and have them program it to the vehicle to make sure it isn't the TPMS that has failed. It could have been damaged when they put the tire back on the rim. Was the procedure you followed for a 2016+ Explorer?

Peter

You could always go back to the dealer and have them program it to the vehicle to make sure it isn't the TPMS that has failed. It could have been damaged when they put the tire back on the rim. Was the procedure you followed for a 2016+ Explorer?

Peter
The procedure was for a different vehicle but it had the keyless start which is why I tried it. There are a couple of points in the procedure where the car horn is supposed to sound and it did sound correctly to say I completed the procedure.

The car picked it up, and doesn’t think there’s a problem, other than the low pressure. The sensor almost surely needs replaced.

today I'm getting a sensor failure alert. Odd that it was fine until I had a screw removed from the tread. I'll get the sensor replaced. Thanks for your help. ...george

They may have damaged the sensor when repairing the tire.

Back