TPMS Won't Reset

wharriso

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Limited
My son was driving my 2016 Explorer on the highway when he got a TPMS error on the driver side front TPMS. He brought the car home and I was able to do a relearn with the little gray Ford TPMS tool. After a few miles the problem came back so I figured I would just get another TPMS sensor. Yesterday, before installing the new sensor, I tried the relearn procedure but could not get that first tire to beep. Today, I replaced the sensor but nothing changed, I was unable to perform the relearn. I am thinking maybe I need to drive around for a while to reset things. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My son was driving my 2016 Explorer on the highway when he got a TPMS error on the driver side front TPMS. He brought the car home and I was able to do a relearn with the little gray Ford TPMS tool. After a few miles the problem came back so I figured I would just get another TPMS sensor. Yesterday, before installing the new sensor, I tried the relearn procedure but could not get that first tire to beep. Today, I replaced the sensor but nothing changed, I was unable to perform the relearn. I am thinking maybe I need to drive around for a while to reset things. Any ideas?
I believe this was discussed not long ago. If I recall correctly, before you can use the relearn tool the TPMS must be programmed.
I'll see if I can find the post.
EDIT: There are a lot of threads on this and while searching I found this post. Not sure if it will help. 2015 TPMS fault help needed

Peter

Did you replace the sensor in the tire or the sensor that picks up the signal on the vehicle?

Can you link to the sensor you bought? There are a few different options for pre-programmed, like the Densos on Rock Auto that I got for my '14.

If replacing a dead sensor, you don't have to install it to use the gray box method to relearn/test it, before you go to the trouble of putting it in the wheel. It'll just read zero pressure.

However I vaguely recall that you are correct, that at some model year or newer and IIRC it was '16, it will relearn the sensor by itself without any box to initiate the relearn sequence, by just driving a while... but it does still have to be a pre-programmed sensor or programmed before an attempt to relearn it.

Do TPMS sensors have to be programmed?

Aftermarket TPMS sensors that come as “programmable,” “universal” or “clone-able” must be programmed with the proper protocol/application information for the specific vehicle before they can be installed. Once they have been successfully programmed, they must then be relearned to the vehicle.

Peter
I have done this several times. This is the first time, even on this car, that it did not work.
Do TPMS sensors have to be programmed?

Aftermarket TPMS sensors that come as “programmable,” “universal” or “clone-able” must be programmed with the proper protocol/application information for the specific vehicle before they can be installed. Once they have been successfully programmed, they must then be relearned to the vehicle.

Peter
Here is the description of what I purchased from Amazon:

tuhaowa TPMS Sensor Tire Pressure Sensor Compatible with Ford Lincoln Tire Pressure Monitoring Pre-Programmed System 315MHz F2GZ-1A189-A,FR3Z-1A-189-A Replacement (1 Pack)

Looks like it should be ready for relearn once it is installed, like many others I have installed in the past.

Can you link to the sensor you bought? There are a few different options for pre-programmed, like the Densos on Rock Auto that I got for my '14.

If replacing a dead sensor, you don't have to install it to use the gray box method to relearn/test it, before you go to the trouble of putting it in the wheel. It'll just read zero pressure.

However I vaguely recall that you are correct, that at some model year or newer and IIRC it was '16, it will relearn the sensor by itself without any box to initiate the relearn sequence, by just driving a while... but it does still have to be a pre-programmed sensor or programmed before an attempt to relearn it.
Amazon product ASIN B09QC5VNVC

I am going to try swapping tires around to figure out if the problem is a bad sensor.

OH! (lol, never heard of this generic brand). A few customers stated they didn't work.

IDK about a '16 but the Denso sensors I got for my '14, looked VERY much like the Motorcraft sensors. However due to this topic I was just looking on Rock Auto and they no longer list the Denso 550-2600 I used, and IDK if the type/part-# of sensors changed between '14 and '16. I checked Denso's website and they only list them compatible through '15 so it does appear/maybe that they changed for '16.

Interesting development: I had a spare TPMS from a 2017 Lincoln MKZ rim that had to be replaced due to a small crack. I know that one works because the alerts identified the crack. I put it in but it did not respond. I took it out and replaced it with a new one from Amazon, a more expensive one,

That one didn't work either. I put car in "learn mode" and when it asked to train the left front tire, I scanned the left rear tire and it beeped. When it asked for the right front tire I scanned the right rear tire and it beeped. The two front tires are not responding. I understand that the TPMS "receiver" is the same module that responds to the key fob which still works just fine. Does anyone know of anything that could stop the front wheels from relearning?

I wish you luck. As a seasoned ford tech I hate tpms with a passion. I'm dealing with a similar situation on my raptor that I'm pretty sure started with a cheap phone charger in the 12v port (only thing I can coincide).

I used to get an intermittent error that would come and go so figured one of the tire sensors were bad. Bought a set of new sensors from ford. I ended up using 1 on my wife's f150 with no issue before I got to my truck. Put the 3 new ones in my truck, programmed and was error free for 3 months. Fast forward to plugging in a cheap USB adapter for phone charger and got on highway, within 5 minutes fault came on and never reset. Try to reprogram them with the grey box and ONLY the one original sensor will read. None of the replacements will talk. Use other scanners / use ford ids to check software and relearn with no luck. So I've been riding for months with a tire light myself.

I do have a new module (interior fuse box) and 4 new sensors to try when I decide to take that plunge. Tpms is nice until it doesn't work.

I wish you luck. As a seasoned ford tech I hate tpms with a passion. I'm dealing with a similar situation on my raptor that I'm pretty sure started with a cheap phone charger in the 12v port (only thing I can coincide).

I used to get an intermittent error that would come and go so figured one of the tire sensors were bad. Bought a set of new sensors from ford. I ended up using 1 on my wife's f150 with no issue before I got to my truck. Put the 3 new ones in my truck, programmed and was error free for 3 months. Fast forward to plugging in a cheap USB adapter for phone charger and got on highway, within 5 minutes fault came on and never reset. Try to reprogram them with the grey box and ONLY the one original sensor will read. None of the replacements will talk. Use other scanners / use ford ids to check software and relearn with no luck. So I've been riding for months with a tire light myself.

I do have a new module (interior fuse box) and 4 new sensors to try when I decide to take that plunge. Tpms is nice until it doesn't work.
I have been doing further research on this problem. It appears that new TPMS sensors need to somehow be registered to the car. I installed this same sensor on my wife's 2017 Lincoln MKZ with no problem but I think the explorer needs further configuration first. If I can get ahold of a MaxiTPMS tool, I can scan the sensors and input them into the car's memory in place of the old ones. I hate to purchase the tool for just one job, maybe I can find a tire shop that will do it for me.

That's what I mentioned in post #3.

Peter

That's what I mentioned in post #3.

Peter
Not quite the same thing because these sensors are already pre-programmed. The problem appears that their ID's need to be stored in the ECU in their respective positions. The odd thing about this is that I installed the exact same sensor in my wife's 2017 Lincoln MKZ and it only needed to be re-learned. Looks like the programming is the same for both cars.

SUCCSESS!!!!!

I own a Launch X-431 Pro V scanner. I needed it to diagnose an engine problem that eventually led to an engine rebuild (not the Explorer). I loaded the Explorer info into it then chose the TPMS relearn function. This thing actually wiped the TPMS info stored in the car to force a relearn and it worked!!! Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and if anyone needs details on how this was done, let me know.

The TPMS system is finicky. I have pro tools that can read and program the sensors. No issue. I had problems with interference inside the vehicle. The TPMS module is very sensitive to interference. Especially the 12v plug. Eventually I got tired of it and just turned off the TPMS system using Forscan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The TPMS system is finicky. I have pro tools that can read and program the sensors. No issue. I had problems with interference inside the vehicle. The TPMS module is very sensitive to interference. Especially the 12v plug. Eventually I got tired of it and just turned off the TPMS system using Forscan.
It's possible that you may have another issue Brett since no one else has ever had to turn OFF their TPMS because of interference.

Peter

Back