TPMS reset/relearn | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS reset/relearn

Bilton_d

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 sport
I'm having an issue trying to get the sensors to relearn the new position after a sensor swap and tire rotation.
I have gone into the manual reset .....ignition on,foot off the brake, press the hazard switch 3 times until the horn sounds, starting at drivers front wheel going clockwise Release some air until the horn sounds but it still wont reset, any other suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having an issue trying to get the sensors to relearn the new position after a sensor swap and tire rotation.
I have gone into the manual reset .....ignition on,foot off the brake, press the hazard switch 3 times until the horn sounds, starting at drivers front wheel going clockwise Release some air until the horn sounds but it still wont reset, any other suggestions?
Are you using a sensor tool? Looks like a little garage door opener. I bought mine off Amazon for about$15. Not sure you can reset without the tool. I wasn't able to.

Are you using a sensor tool? Looks like a little garage door opener. I bought mine off Amazon for about$15. Not sure you can reset without the tool. I wasn't able to.
No tool at the minute but i have ordered one.
Reading up it said you should be able to complete it manually, i can get into it no problem and go through the process but it wont re-learn the sensor locations or pickup the new sensor. Its a new Ford sensor

The Ford dealers out here in The Philippines are a total joke and a complete rip-off.

you don't have to buy a ford sensors for it to work first off. I mean warranty and whatever I understand not wanting to just buy one. However other sensors will work fine. Meanwhile I would get FORSCAN and some BT OBD module. I love the OBDlinkMX - I know it costs more than the amazon special. But they firmware update it - it has safe sense circuits.

anyway Forscan will let you know what the computer sees and let you know if the computer declared it dead. Or has other issues. Another fairly common thing is low voltage on startup - sometimes has the computer leave off modules - so the TPMS bit on start up might act funny. Then later come back on line.

I've not had that on my explorer but I've see in on other cars.

Did you change sensors or when you said "sensor swap" was that the actual tire rotation? I have my dealer do my semi-annual wheel (winter/summer) and they do the relearn as part of the package.

Peter

Before I purchased the magic box to relearn the sensor position I used the same method of letting air out of the tires and never did have a problem.

The magic box doesn't really make it that much simpler but you don't have to let any air out.

Did you change sensors or when you said "sensor swap" was that the actual tire rotation? I have my dealer do my semi-annual wheel (winter/summer) and they do the relearn as part of the package.

Peter
Its both. I had to change a tyre stem and sensor due to it leaking air against the rim, so rotated the tyres at the same time.
Ever other car i've had, you go into the menu and reset .... Everything is done automatically

2016-2019 auto learn the TPMS as long as they are the correct sensors. Just drive the vehicle for a while.

2016-2019 auto learn the TPMS as long as they are the correct sensors. Just drive the vehicle for a while.
Not on my 2016, you need the tool or do the air release

@Bilton_d Have you driven the Explorer for like 20 miles since swapping them? And that is 20 miles without trying to reset them, etc.

Yes driven 100+ miles
Still hasn't reset itself or accepting the manual reset
Are you sure you have the correct replacement TPMS sensor? And to add to this if you rotated the tires, the 3 known working sensors will learn their new position. Have you seen this occur in the TPMS display? It sounds like you should be showing 3 readings and one blank "--" reading correct?

Also is this a North American market Explorer or does Ford make an Explorer for the market you are in? That could also make a difference if it isn't a North American market as that is what most of us are used to dealing with.

Are you sure you have the correct replacement TPMS sensor? And to add to this if you rotated the tires, the 3 known working sensors will learn their new position. Have you seen this occur in the TPMS display? It sounds like you should be showing 3 readings and one blank "--" reading correct?

Also is this a North American market Explorer or does Ford make an Explorer for the market you are in? That could also make a difference if it isn't a North American market as that is what most of us are used to dealing with.
The Sensor was provided by A Ford Dealer in The Philippines but that isn't saying much, i've never seen so bad service or support, really high service costs here when the salaries are so low, the labor charge for a 10,000km PMS service is about 1 weeks wage for the mechanic, i cant even get a touch up paint!!!!
The new sensor is still showing blanc in its old position and the others wont adjust/relearn the new positions.
I'm sure all of the Explorer's come from the US market

Back