• Register Today It's free!

Trading Down?

oldnable

Reaction score
City, State
concord n.c.
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 xlt 4x4
Guys, I have a 2001 Explorer XLT sport 4x4 w/V6. it has the trans cooler and engine cooler. Only has 140,000 mls. Thinking about trading for a 2000 Explorer Ltd w/v8 with 197,000. cosmetic wise it is no where close to mine but can be brought up to par. it is fully equipped just scratches everywhere. The only reason I`m considering this is because it has the v8 and has more equipment than mine. Mine is very clean but starting that damn death rattle with the V6. Let me know what you think.:usa:

well, i now have two highly optioned v8's (2000 & 2001) and an '01 XLT SOHC v6. the v6 came first, and i'll never own another one. i love my v8's. they both have around 180k on them. one was much loved and is in almost new condition. the other was maintained mechanically, but the interior and paint hadn't been looked after in years. after 3 weeks of cleaning and repairing minor stuff it now looks really good. the nice thing about the v8 is that the engines run forever and the transmissions are very strong. driven moderately they get about the same fuel mileage as the v6. my v8's are both 2WD, as i didn't want the extra weight or complexity and have no need for AWD. i guess it all depends on whether the PO changed the oil at regular intervals. mechanically there is almost no difference between the '00 and '01's. see if the PO has service records.

Me personally, I would for sure trade for the V8, as long as there is no leaks from anything. like stated above, they will be reliable for a very long time, and get about the same gas mileage as the V6. I have a '96 Eddie Bauer, so it's loaded, I love mine. when I got it I had to fix a few minor things, but that is because it was 15 years old.

I think I`m going to see about this vehicle tomorrow. Would definately like to have the v8.

Back