trailer hitch installation

Danson

Reaction score
City, State
London, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
hey everyone,
i am picking up a class 3 trailer hitch in a couple weeks and i am just wondering how hard they are to install. do they just bolt on or is there welding required??? and the other thing is how hard is the wiring?? any help greatly appreciated
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It bolts on with 4 bolts, very easy nothing to worry about. The wiring is even easier as it is just plug it in and your good to go for the standard 4 pin wiring, if you want a brake controller its a little more involved.

where does the wiring go on the explorer, thanks for your help

ok thank you so much

etrailer

I should be picking up a hitch from etrailer sometime soon . . . .

the installation video on the website made it look so easy, though the tech had easy access to the underside of the truck! I helped a neighbor install a hitch onto a late model Hyundai Veracruz, and it was a downright pain in the ass. Heat shields to move, mounting holes full of rust. Two guys on their backs under the SUV, one bench-pressing the hitch into position while the other complains about not having the right ratchet extension.

I may pass on the trailer wiring . . . I do not own a trailer and do not plan on owning one soon. Is it safe to assume that the wiring haness can easily be added afterwards?

Dave:roll:

It really is that easy to install. The holes are large enough to pass bolts through easily. I'd drop your spare tire to give you lots of room, won't need to jack the truck up. On a 1-10 scale it's a 2. You'll need a good socket and wrench to hold the other side of the bolt. It's a simple install.

The wiring can be added whenever. The wiring under your taillight is simply a plug cover that you remove, and plug the end of your new harness into, and the other end of that harness will be your flat 4. I remove mine for winter, it's just pulling 2 screws and pulling the taillight or you can do it from underneath if you wish.

Back