• Register Today It's free!

trailer hook up

coltrain

Reaction score
City, State
alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
:fire: I have a 97 explorer that I want to add trailer plug to. The problem is that I can't find a spot to hook up to. I've read alot of threads but I haven't found one yet to solve my problem. I looked under the bumper for the round connector but it's not there. I've looked under the driver side tail light no plug there. Under the driver side tail light is a connector but it is being used by the bumper lights(tag lights). Most the thread I've seen said that there sould be a connector tied in with tag lights, but not on my explorer. So if any one has had this problem any answer would help.

The following is not Ford recomended or approved, but I did it and it works:

1) Pull both the rear tail lights off your truck.
2) The blinker/brake light is controlled by the same wire per side of the vehicle. For the drivers side; Find this wire in the wiring going to the disatached tail light and splice a wire onto it. This wire will feed the drivers side blinker/brake light on the trailer. Repeat for the passengers side.
3) The parking/running light is controlled by the same wire on either side of the vehicle. Locate this wire on the drivers OR passengers side (it doesn't matter which) and splice a wire to it. This wire will feed the parking/running lights on the trailer.
4) Run the wires you just spliced through the opening at the back of the tail light resess into the body and figure out how to get them down to the hitch area
5) buy the 4 pin connecter (the part that the trailer plugs into) from wal-mart for like $7.00 and connect it to the wires you have just spliced onto you tail lights.

THATS IT. all there is to it. The ground (-) will be connected through the hitch.

Hope this helps

I've got the same vehicle, and found out an easier and better way to do it.
1st, buy the 4 pin adapter for your vehicle with the round plug (towing package about $15.00) and pull off your driver's side taillight assembly.

Look down inside the cavity for that round plug connector that will feed your license plate lights. On the one side of that connection (leads back to inside of vehicle) you will see multiple colored wires (5 of them) and the other side of the connecter (male side) will only have to wires comiing out to feed your license plate lites. (-black, +purple).

You may need another person and a test light.

Disconnect the round plug and test the 5 wires by turning on your lights, and turning on your turn signals, and hit your brakes. By writing down the colors of the correct wires by selecting the....for example....the yellow/green? wire is the left turn signal and so on. Then....match those wires up on your new two package adapter wires.

On the new tow package adapter connecter (male side) you can pull the rubber backing off of theat connection and expose the metal pins. Then all you have to do is push that red plastic piece that's locking those metal pins out of the connection, and carefully remove all those pin connectors and replace them back into the connector in their right places. It works beautifully!!!!

If you want get those license plate lites to work again, then pull those wires out of the old connection and ground the black wire somewhere in the taillight cavity, and splice the purple wire to the wire for your taillights and you're back in business.

Takes about 1/2 hour to do everything and then theres less splicing of wires to get corroded, especially on those Explorers!!!!! Good Luck!!

Back