• Register Today It's free!

Trailer lifting question

BExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XL 4x4
I know it's about suspension but since its a trailer I posted here. My father gave me is old trailer, its in good condition but when I attach it to my stock 94, the trailer bed is tipping toward the rear. That's the reason for the lifting, first I will chnage the rim for 15' (now 14') and put my old tires on, but I'm afraid of rubbin, since they will be close to the fender.

Question: If I do a spring over conversion to the trailer, would I have to do some welding to the new retainer? If so, is it possible with a brazing torch (that's all I have)?:eek: :confused:

If someone has any other suggestion, please do so Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you using the stock mount with a ball or do you have an after market hitch?

If your using the stock ball hitch I have no ideas.

If your using an after market hitch you can buy an adapter that will raise the hitch. I guess what I'm sayin is I have 5.5" lift and had to buy a 5.5" drop down. I've seen the opposite where the hitch is raised instead of dropped.

You may end up buying an after market hitch. They work good as a towing point and also protect your tail end when you bottom out on a steep decline or incline.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure if you are using your bumper and a ball to tow or you have a receiver hitch. If you don't have a receiver I would suggest it as a nice investment. You could just buy a lower drop hitch to tow a lower trailer rather than trying to increase the height of the trailer.

If you really want to convert the trailer to spring over axle there shouldn't be any need to weld anything. Most just bolt on an off.

Stock ball

I have the stock hitch ball on the bumper, and I'm already looking for a receiver hitch, I dont want to invest to much since I dont tow often, and not heavy. But there is a used one on the site that I am considering, I didnt tought about dropped hitch ball, that would solve all the problem.

Thanks I hope I can get the receiver I'm looking for...;)

U-haul has some decent prices for recievers.

I would be leary of raising the trailer as it may efect the way the trailer rides. I would think the deflection of the springs different since the axle would be under the spring. It may also efect the tounge wait.

If the axle does not already have a spring perch on top you will have to weld one on top of the axle to do the SOA. I have done a spring under conversion on my own 16' trailer and it turned out good with welded on perches under. I dont think a brazing torch would work well but then again the u-bolts are what should hold it so as long as it is tacked down it might be okay. I dont see a reason why it would change the loading of the trailer but it will change the handling when loaded since it will be higher.

I would also recommend you get an aftermarket hitch and match them up accordingly like what is said above. Good luck.

Back