Trailer Tow Package / Brake Controller | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Tow Package / Brake Controller

bob944

Reaction score
City, State
Haymarket, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8 2WD
I have read that all Ford Trucks after '92 (I think) with the towing package option came equipped with the plug-in wiring jack for a trailer electric brake controller. I'm wondering how I can tell for sure (option code sticker, or obvious equipment) that I have the trailer tow package on my '96 XLT V8. It has a trans cooler, but I'm not sure if that is standard anyway, and I believe the 4-wire trailer light hook-up in the back was factory installed. I will be installing a brake controller soon, and I will be fishing some wires. I wanted to make sure there is no factory under-dash jack to which I can connect a Ford type connector to my brake controller..... before I go to the trouble of splicing into exiting wires. If anyone knows where this jack might be located, please let me know because I have been unable to find it under the dash. Any other advice is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you do have a transmission cooler then you most likely do have a towing package. To be absolutely sure, there should be a 4-pin trailer wire harness tucked in the rear bumper on the drivers side. Or, just look at the original sticker for when you bought your X. My X came with a trailer towing package, but no hitch receiver, which I cant quite understand. :eek:

Originally posted by thegoon543
My X came with a trailer towing package, but no hitch receiver, which I cant quite understand. :eek:

Explorers never came with 2" hitch receivers except for the very new ones... Your bumper has a step in it and a hole right in front of that step for a trailer ball. It is rated Class II

Originally posted by thegoon543
If you do have a transmission cooler then you most likely do have a towing package. To be absolutely sure, there should be a 4-pin trailer wire harness tucked in the rear bumper on the drivers side.

only the explorers with the trailer towing packages have the 4-pin trailer wire harness?

thanks
-ken :usa:

You can install the 4 pin harness in any X. It's just a plug in harness. Where it plugs in depends upon the year. My '92 plugged in inside the jack compartment. My '01 plugs in under the left taillight.

As for an electric brake setup. I know of no Explorer that came from the factory set up for electric brakes. If I remember correctly, the towing package usually consisted of a l/s rear with either 3.73 or 4.10 gears, 4 pin wiring harness, tranny cooler, and I think on some years, a class III receiver.

My daughter has appropriated my book detailing the options, so I'm doing this by memory :bounce:

On Edit, my 2001 lists a "Towing Prep Package" which includes a wiring harness, heavy duty flasher and a limited slip rear axle.

Back