Trails in Illinois? | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trails in Illinois?

Yea, thats what I told her and she just gave me a "look"(if your married you know it). Well, the hard part is over I have a 4WD. Now...
I was planning on putting a lift on my Sport and I had decided on the torsion twist and I was trying to decide on the warrior shackles or the add-a-leaf or maybe both. Money is a big issue and I don't want a monster Explorer that my wife can't get into. I want to be able to get it dirty and have fun at the same time, but I'm not looking to climb any mountains. I guess what it comes down to is I want to be able to go to Attica with you guys and keep up. Can someone tell me in plain english what I need to do to my Explorer(lift, hooks, light etc.) Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, Splash wants to run at Attica eh? Well, right on! With money being a simple issue, I believe you can do either the shackles or add-a-leaf and the torsion twist. Add a body lift on that and you should be able to comfortably get a set of BFG 32x11.5 MT's on your truck. Toss on some tow hooks front and rear, and you're set to rip up Attica with us. Now, this is all commin from a guy who owns a pre 95 explorer...So I could be wrong....someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I'm pretty close....Just an idea...Can't wait to see ya out there...that is if my truck stays in one piece to make it out there myself :)
Pete

I'm married and I know what the "look" is all about. Get as much lift as the budget allows for and get the tallest tires that will fit without interference. That will have to be good enough. Get rid of any plastic hanging off the bottom or Attica will do it for you, no charge.

Must haves: tow hooks front and back, so we can get your stuck butt out, and a cb so we can make fun of you, and double check the full coverage insurance and deductibles. That should cover it till the bug bites. We all look forward to running with you.

Pete, the truck will be fine if you don't let your mom keep driving it!

So, Splash! welcome to the Big World of Off Roading!!!!!!!!!!
and yeah! wifes are great. Mine complains a lot every time she gets into my rig but she does it just to tease me. Kids love it though.
Pete covered the mods for you so let me just add what's coming later. He mentioned a body lift, looks like Matt is working on one himself (he's the one with the 2001 Sport) so look for a big write up on the install. That and torsion twist plus add-a-leaf and/or warrior shackles is probably all you can do for almost nothing. Guys covered everything else. After that and your maiden trip to Attica I can assure you that you'd be itching for more!! Lockers and gears is what's next then and possibly a winch, brush guard and more lights and we can go on and on. Crazy world. Don't ever count what you spent on your rig though. It won't make your wife happy. Care to join us for a get together in February? We'll be meeting at Hooters. Plenty of rigs/mods/pretty women,,,,,,,,,, what? o yeah and fun! We might even discuss our Attica opener.

Good luck!

Thank you Todd....I'm still remembering that from last time....Now it's parked in the back of the garage...so I should be fine....How's yout straight axle comming? And in summer, is it possible for me to inquire on some of you skills for something along the lines of lockers and gears?
Thanks
Pete

Alright, a get-to-gether in February would be great. I live in Round Lake Beach witch is a North North West suburb of Chi-town (20 min strait west of the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. So all I would need is directions. I am going to ask my wife if we can afford the shackles this month so that I can get them put on. If she says yea, all I have to do is find a warm garage to put them and the twist on.
Next, everyone is talking about new tires or big tires. That is really going to be out of my budget for a while, so I'm wondering... my Sport has 245/75 R15 Dayton Timberlines and my wifes has 245/75 R15 Bridgestone Duellers (both are ATs). Which would be the better tire to have on untill I can afford BFGs?
Lastly, were would I mount tow hooks at? I saw some in the Performance Products cataloge that look good, but I have no idea where to mount them.

Splash....In my opinion, the Bridgstones would be better and someone will get ya directions to our Feb get together.....There, you can check out in person how we've got or tow hooks mounted...and how we lift our trucks too friggin high, etc! Can't wait to see ya there! Check out the thread "Who lives in Illinois?" That's got the info!
Pete

Splash, if you search the archives you'll find more info than you need on everything, including tow hooks. The ones I bought were pure GM product that usually goes on their trucks. Check my web site for info, write-up and pictures on these. Also, tires are not that big of a deal. Watch For Sale or Trade forum for some great deals. Riffman just sold his set of 31X10.5 BFG's for $250.00 including rims!!!!!! You'll know all the tricks after you've been here for a while.

Good luck! See you at "The Gathering".

Attica?? Should I be scared?

OK, I am siting here looking at all of the Attica pictures because I am putting a screensaver together and I am thinking,"This looks like so much fun!" Then I start looking at the trails and the Explorers and I start thinking "Can I hang?". The way money is flowing around here I am only going to be able to get the shackles next month and from there who knows. I am looking for a second job, but things are tight around here. I want to go to Attica, but I'm worried. I know I will not be able to afford new tires for a while, so that means I am going to have to run with the Bridgestone Duellers that are on it. All you guys have BFGs and I don't want to be the one that every one else gets to take turns pulling my butt out. Any $.02?

Maybe ya can work some deals with Matt 2001ExpSport....he may have some used tires available....They show the worst parts too...I've seen stock explorers go out there...but they get damage..with 1-2in of lift and 31's you'll be just fine!
Pete

hey Splash, do you think that all of us were already prepared when we went to Attica? not really. First time I went there off roading all I had on my rig were bigger tires. Dave was there with us twice in his complete "stock" truck. You might not be able to do a lot but look at Matt; all he's got on his 2001 Sport is torsion twist in the front and if I remember correctly add-a-leaf in a back and bigger tires and he went through Green trail with no big time problems. We all go crazy with mods after each run but that's simply because we want to do more. Everyone does it though whenever there's some extra money to spend. We are in for a while so don't try to get it all at once. It's a never ending story. And don't worry, there's nothing wrong with getting your ass out of a hole. Last time we went there every one of us needed that sooner or later. We were actually pulling each other through that part of the trail. Just be there and we'll figure everything there.

Darn, Darn, Darn twist my arm why don't you... I should have the torsion twist and shackles by the second or third week in february(I'm shooting for before Hooters). The next thing I think is the tow hooks and then a Safari Bar. Mean while I am making a "Run Kit" based on the list on this web page. Off this subject, my wife wants to know if anyone else is going to bring there families to the Hooters get together.

Hey, Fellow Illinoian here.

RFR2212, Gilson is right off Interstate 74 half way between Peoria and the Quad Cities. (Small town with a post office)

I'm sure you have heard of Galesburg.

I am in Tuscola, IL now. That is just south of Champaign.

Anyway, good to see there are many other explorers around. I would love to get together and try out the new lift and meats.

Big Dave, I went to WIU as well. Are you still down there?

hmmm...is it deja vu, or have we talked about this before...hehe

don, right? how do you like nash bridges...hehehehe...ok...anyway..

im just north of you in bloomington. actually my sis and bro-in-law just got their house there not too long ago. who knows maybe ill see ya around.

you gonna make it to the Hooters meet in feb?

Just thought I'd add, Dave's graduated from WIU, but I actually am currently attending WIU. So, I'm here out in the boonies too!
Pete

Oh DON that rings a bell.

Sorry I could not remember which thread that was. It seems like we were talking with someone from Arizona???

I went to Moab once...mountain biking. That place is the coolest. Now that I have a truck I can't wait to go back.

Hopefully, we will get to see some good pictures this week of the "MECCA" of mountain biking and 4X4.

Guys, just wanted to give you a heads up, I consolidated the pics from attica today and got rid of the bad, duplicate, and fuzzy out of focus pictures. If you had your links to my page they won't work anymore.

On that note, I have been working on screensavers for for each of the runs on the webpage with Rick's blessing. I have 13 done and am just waiting on the Truckhaven 2001 pics to do that one. I have been working on the "Attack on Attica" screensaver and I just want to make sure you guys don't mind if I use your pics. Most of the pics are coming from Kampy's pic page, but if you have some you want added just send them to Brian.Owens@cnet.navy.mil and I will put them in. The screensavers are going to be in zip and exe format. I can also put them on disk and if I get them done in time I can make a couple copies and bring them to the Hooters Run. Sound good? Just to let you know all these are free.

Sweet!! sure, you can use my truck, and my ugly ass...hehe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brian, jump over to this site too if you need any more pictures. Dead Link Removed

Pages updated and links fixed............... for now at least.
Fire away!

[Edited by Andre Hryn on 01-21-2001 at 10:29 PM]

Back