ATF Filter and Tranny Cooler Relocation | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATF Filter and Tranny Cooler Relocation

No, I don't know when the 5R opens up to the cooler.

My last sentence was just about the aftermarket thermostatic adapters. They are all for oil, and made to open between 160 and 180. I wish that other Ford transmissions did that, it seems reliable and it's a good idea.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll add another voice recommending against an auxillary cooler only. The wet-to-wet cooler extracts a ton more heat from the oil than does a dry to wet type cooler (plate or tube and fin). If you need extra cooling just piggy-back an additional cooler to the one that already exists.

The point here is to cool the ATF, not heat it. If you want it cooler, then a very large external front mounted cooler is needed.

Then you can bypass the radiator, which is trying hard to heat the ATF to at least your thermostat rating. I don't want the ATF to ever reach 200 degrees. Heat kills transmission fluid, and then the trans.

The point here is to cool the ATF, not heat it. If you want it cooler, then a very large external front mounted cooler is needed.

Then you can bypass the radiator, which is trying hard to heat the ATF to at least your thermostat rating. I don't want the ATF to ever reach 200 degrees. Heat kills transmission fluid, and then the trans.

Over cooling also kills a transmission. If your trans fluid never warms up in the winter you will do damage then too. The best is the transmissions wit the internal bypass.. They get the best of both worlds..

~Mark

Over cooling also kills a transmission. If your trans fluid never warms up in the winter you will do damage then too. The best is the transmissions wit the internal bypass.. They get the best of both worlds..

~Mark

I live in California, its pretty warm here most of the time, for that reason I want to remove the hot oil from the transmission to the radiator, since I could not find an after-market better aluminum radiator & a set of electric fans. im having heat issues on hot days now that I have the larger engine & roots s/c. what are you're thoughts would it help by removing another heat source from my radiator?

I live in California, its pretty warm here most of the time, for that reason I want to remove the hot oil from the transmission to the radiator, since I could not find an after-market better aluminum radiator & a set of electric fans. im having heat issues on hot days now that I have the larger engine & roots s/c. what are you're thoughts would it help by removing another heat source from my radiator?

Do you have the full thickness radiator? If you have engine cooling problems, start with the original thickness 302 radiator. If you have boost, then you should have a custom PCM tune already. Given that, get the lowest temperature thermostat you can, make it run as cool as possible. I have a 160 T-stat for mine to go in, you do need the PCM tune designed for that. Some tunes have the closed loop point too high, above 160 or 180 for example. You need the engine to go in closed loop before the engine reaches full temperature.

Run the lowest T-stat, matched with the PCM tune, then concentrate on the coolant outside of the engine. That's what the radiator and fans are for. With electric fans you can have the coolant colder than inside the engine, potentially.

~Mark

Mark, what you stated about cold ATF is true, that is why I want a thermostatic adapter. I intend on my ATF to skip the cooler until it's over 100*, and then to keep it as cool as possible above that.

Mark, what you stated about cold ATF is true, that is why I want a thermostatic adapter. I intend on my ATF to skip the cooler until it's over 100*, and then to keep it as cool as possible above that.

If you find a 100 degree thermostatic bypass, let me/us know. The lowest I've found so far is 160F which it higher than I want. I'd settle for a 140F. I "once" saw an external thermostatic bypass on a 2007 Dodge 2500 pickup. But I haven't been able to find it listed anywhere to buy.

~Mark

That is my goal, to modify one of those adapters, hopefully they are not all sealed and unserviceable. We'll see.

No, I don't know when the 5R opens up to the cooler.

not sure on the temp, but my 5r has flow almost immediately when starting the truck and driving. If it is really cold out it may take about 45 seconds of driving. But on warmer days it is open from startup. My guess is it is a very low temp like 100F or so...

Cool Rusty,that sounds more like room temperature, which is fine.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but didnt want to start a new one. i plan on doing the same mod to my 02 limited explorer as we are now using it more often to tow the bike trailer. The links for the tranny cooler and remote oil filter arnt working now for my computer are they for anyone else. If its because the item is no longer available has anyone else got a link to th parts needed(want a b&m cooler). where do you get the adapter for the remote oil filter?

Somewhere that will post to aus!

not sure on the temp, but my 5r has flow almost immediately when starting the truck and driving. If it is really cold out it may take about 45 seconds of driving. But on warmer days it is open from startup. My guess is it is a very low temp like 100F or so...
I can confirm that the thermostat opens at a relatively
low temp. I recall reading something about this when
I installed the Superior kit. Memory is dim now, but
my thoughts are it opens around 100-120*F or so...

Regardless, I did do the thermostat bypass, with no problems in the last 90K miles.

BUMP!

anybody have a link on where i can purchase the external transmission filter that you all use for this project? the links are all broken.

thanks guys.

It is just an oil filter mount.. AFAIK, everyone is using one with 3/4 x 16 filter thread and 3/8 NPT ports for the hoses.

Here is one from Summit Racing.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-25005/overview/

As for the Filter.. It is a Wix 51515, mobil 1 M1-301, Fram FL1A equivalent filter (they fit the adapter above)

If you have to use a book to find the filter, look up 1992 ford explorer. It uses that filter.

~Mark

Edit: here is a "kit" from summit.. AFAIK, this is the type of system Aldive used.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-80277

Make sure that you install the filter housing in the correct flow direction. A lot of spin on oil filters contain a spring loaded check valve.

What he said.. Most Filter mounts are printed as to which is in/out (flow from outside of filter to inside) but you need to know which is the out/in on the transmission lines too..

~Mark

Perfect! Thank you both so much!

While I've got you here...any diagrams on the "in/out" line schematics? Any other words of wisdom? Appreciate all the help here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back