ATF Filter and Tranny Cooler Relocation | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATF Filter and Tranny Cooler Relocation

shaman said:
I just wanted to ask you aldive why you put the filter last? I think(take it for what it's worth, saw mention of it on BITOG) that before coolers would not only keep flow better through the filter because the fluid is warmer, and therefore thinner, but there would be less chance of getting gunk in the coolers, causing blockage.

When I first installed my ATF filter, I gave considerable consideration to locating the filter before all tranny coolers, but vetoed the idea for ease of location.

I was concerned more with the contaminants than with flow. However, since I first installed the filter, I have never seen ant contaminants in the filter after a change ( yes, I dissect the filters ).

I have had no temperature problems either. Therefore, I am satisfied with the placement of the filter after the coolers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive said:
When I first installed my ATF filter, I gave considerable consideration to locating the filter before all tranny coolers, but vetoed the idea for ease of location.

I was concerned more with the contaminants than with flow. However, since I first installed the filter, I have never seen ant contaminants in the filter after a change ( yes, I dissect the filters ).

I have had no temperature problems either. Therefore, I am satisfied with the placement of the filter after the coolers.

Good enough for me.

I put my filter FIRSTin line for this reason.
My tempture sender is in the filter, so that is going to give me the most accurate dependable reading of the fluid tempture as it exits the transmission.

Finely got some help to reinstall the bumper. Its kida awkard to get it back on the brackets, but with a helper its pretty easy.

I do have a question hopefully someone can answer. When I removed the bumper, as it "slid off" the brackets, the two items in the picture "fell off". What is their purpose? and which of the 4 bolts did they com off of? As you can see from the picture, they are not the same.

I put the bumper back on the truck without them; was I a bad boy?

Help ......

Attachments

• DSC00709.JPG
    DSC00709.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,597

aldive said:
The filter access should be ok; fingers crossed.

Now that its all buttoned up with the bumper reinstalled, I am not so sure about the access for filter swaps.

Hindsight is often 20/20 and I sure wish that I had held the bumper in place to determine access before making the filter bracket. Oh well, its only about 10 minutes to drop the bumper if that is going to be required. Time will tell.

I will make a few photos from below to illustrate the access today.

Those are body spacers (like washers)...we used to use then to line up body panels when we replaced them.

aldive said:
I will make a few photos from below to illustrate the access today.

Here is the access to the filter. Its not as bad as I once thought. Filter changes should be no problem.

Attachments

• DSC00715.JPG
    DSC00715.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,432
  • DSC00716.JPG
    DSC00716.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,403
  • DSC00717.JPG
    DSC00717.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,410

Looks good Al. That's where I got my tranny filter too. I just throw a coat of black paint on there so it can't be noticed very well.

UPDATE

I recently had to remove my front bumper due to a close encounter of the porcine kind ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143230&highlight=pig ).

After removing the bumper cover, I reinstalled the actual metal part of the bumper ( as shown in the picture ) until the new cover arrived.

After carefully looking at the reinstalled bumper, I discovered that it blocks 95% of the air flow to the B&M Transmission Cooler ( http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127283&highlight=transmission+cooler ). I never noticed this when the bumper cover was in place. This location negates most of the reason for having the extra cooler.

I am going to fab a new bracket to lower the cooler below the metal bumper into the air flow. Details to follow upon completion.

Others who have their tranny cooler in this or a similar location might also want to rethink the placement.

Attachments

• bumper.jpg
    bumper.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,378
  • covered cooler.jpg
    covered cooler.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,368

I've notice this too. I have mine in the same location, except mine is on a seperate bracket and hangs down a little more than that. But that is an issue I do want to clear up with mine as well.

That is why I hung mine verticaly

about half.
give or take

yes and no.

My computer swallowed a virus, I am on a loaner.
I can snap the photo, but I have no way to down load it :(

MONMIX said:
yes and no.

My computer swallowed a virus, I am on a loaner.
I can snap the photo, but I have no way to down load it :(

Kevin, shoot it and DL later. Thanks .......

I am God!

Well, I know how to use the search button ;)

Attachments

• trannycombo.jpg
    trannycombo.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,371

IAmTodd said:
........Well, I........use the search button ;)

Don't they ban people who do that? :p :D

Ok...I edited the quote. ;)

Here is a pic of where I mounted my filter, its right behind the drivers side of the bumper, very easy access, hidden, and protected from flying debris.
DSC00522.jpg

Also used Swagelok fittings throughout.
DSC00524.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IAmTodd said:
I am God!

Well, I know how to use the search button ;)

Thats not the pic I want to see, I have seen that. I want to see it with the bumper in place, just like I asked Kevin; so I can see how much cooler is in free air.

Back