ATF Filter and Tranny Cooler Relocation | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ATF Filter and Tranny Cooler Relocation

I wanted to determine the effect of the location of the supplemental B & M transmission cooler on ATF temperature.

As reported ( post 29 above ), the metal bumper more or less blocks direct air flow to the transmission cooler ( less than 1 inch below bumper ), for that reason, I decided to investigate ATF temperature on a highway run ( ~70 MPH ) with the cooler in its current location ( picture 1 test 1 ) and the repeat the test with the transmission cooler relocated to a vertical position ( like Kevin { MONMIX } did - picture 2, test 2 ). The vertical mounting location allows 5 ½ inches tp protrude below the bumper. Both of these tests were conducted with the metal bumper frame ( only, no cover ) in place.

The repositioning of the transmission cooler was quite simple. All that was needed to do was drill two new mounting holes and attaching the cooler with screws with lock nuts and to shorten one of the rubber lines; took less than 10 minutes. The removal of the metal bumper took about 10 minutes ( remove 4 nuts and disconnect the fog light connectors ).

The predetermined test parameters were as follows:

Distance and speed were GPS ( Dead Link Removed ) determined, ATF temperature was determined with a digital transmission temperature gauge, oil temperature was determined with a digital gauge ( http://dakotadigital.com/ ) and coolant temperature was determined with an OBD II scanner ( http://www.autoxray.com/default.htm ).

For test number 1

30.4 mile highway ( I 75 ) run at 70.46 MPH.
Ambient temperature – 94 F
ATF temperature – 134 F
Coolant temperature – 190 F
Oil temperature – 200 F

For test number 2

30.8 mile highway ( I 75 ) run at 70.67 MPH.
ATF temperature – 131 F
Oil temperature – 200 F

Simply relocating the transmission cooler resulted in a decrease of 3 F in ATF temperature. The extra air flow is a good thing. This simple mod was well worth it for me.

After carrying out these assessments, I decided to replicate the highway run with the bumper removed ( picture 3 ) to determine if completely unobstructed air flow had any effect on ATF temperature.

30.4 mile highway ( I 75 ) run at 70.02 MPH.
ATF temperature – 128 F
Oil temperature – 199 F

Air flow is a very good thing when it comes to cooling ( a decrease in ATF temperature of 6 F ). Once I get the bumper cover installed I plan to fabricate sheet metal or plastic air deflectors to channel the air to the cooler.

As an aside, I noticed that the front end of my truck definitely felt different with the bumper off at highway speed; it felt less stable.

Attachments

• covered cooler.jpg
    covered cooler.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,124
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,128
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,486

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude the amount of time and accuracy you put into this stuff is awesome, i love reading your posts!

Al, I have a dual oil filter relocation kit. Could I use it in my transmission line to do the same thing, but double? I already have the second cooler going.

jtsmith said:
Al, I have a dual oil filter relocation kit. Could I use it in my transmission line to do the same thing, but double? I already have the second cooler going.

Yes, you can use it as an ATF filter. The main advantage that I see would be the extra quart of ATF.

do i just use a regular oil filter also. if i can, than i've located two slim filters( not as large but together they are a quart), the smaller size would help in replacement?

Yes, a regular oil filter is what you use.

I would recommend only using a high quality filter such as Mobul 1, K & N or Amsoil. I use Amsoil on mine.

Looks like I'll be rotating next time I'm home! :)

I nominate Al to be the official R&D guy for EF

You are a bundle of facts and information man.

Keep up the good work my friend.

Okay, next... the power steering cooler. I need a bigger PS cooler, add that to the list.

Well done, regards.

CDW6212R said:
Okay, next... the power steering cooler. I need a bigger PS cooler, add that to the list.

Don, why do you need a different PS cooler?

Another bonus with the new cooler location is the speed that the ATF temperature drops when going from stop and go in town driving to highway driving; much faster than before.

aldive said:
Another bonus with the new cooler location is the speed that the ATF temperature drops when going from stop and go in town driving to highway driving; much faster than before.
Just curious, What temp does your trans run now? Mine stays below 180 deg, usually runs about 160. How hot is too hot. I heard 210 deg is bottom of danger zone. HP doesn't kill transmissions, heat does right?

jtsmith said:
Just curious, What temp does your trans run now?

HP doesn't kill transmissions, heat does right?

Read the first post, the temperatures are there.

Heat and abuse kill transmissions.

In all honesty, I would seriously reconsider the mount locations we have chosen. I hit a ground hog or raccoon a little while ago and the cooler took quite a beating. I'm probably going to end up having to get a new one, but it will definetly be relocated to a more safe position.

IAmTodd said:
In all honesty, I would seriously reconsider the mount locations we have chosen. I hit a ground hog or raccoon a little while ago and the cooler took quite a beating. I'm probably going to end up having to get a new one, but it will definetly be relocated to a more safe position.

Upbehind the grille maybe ??

I see some mounted horizontal and some verticle. For the Horizontal ones, does the filter drain enough to change it without dumping a pint of fluid? If it doesn't drain enough I'll make room for a verticle mount somehow.

Besides the advantage of the remote filter, Why add two seperate coolers? Why not just go with one big high quality cooler like a Fluidyne or Hayden- it has got to be better than stock. Right?

Then you will not have the airflow issues and at least make is somewhat better than stock with less issues.

Lazzman said:
Besides the advantage of the remote filter, Why add two seperate coolers? Why not just go with one big high quality cooler like a Fluidyne or Hayden- it has got to be better than stock. Right?

Then you will not have the airflow issues and at least make is somewhat better than stock with less issues.

More is better. Whenever my warranty runs out, I'm bypassing the radiator cooler.

The fluid passes right by the 200* coolant. So there is going to be heat exchange there.

It has been a long time since I've seen my needle move on my temp gauge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lazzman said:

It is possible to make an aftermarket cooler cool as well as the factory cooler, but not easily. A couple considerations are in order.

1. Wet to wet is the best heat exchanger. An aftermarket cooler will only be an air cooled unit.

2. Yes, you have to run the tranny lines through 200 degrees coolant -- but that is also close to the ideal operating temperature for the transmission.

3. What happens when you come to a stop after pulling a large load or when you have just finished pulling a hill and there is no air flow?

Virtually every one I've ever seen recommends adding an additional cooler to the factory cooler, and not simply bypassing the factory cooler.

Back