• Register Today It's free!

Tranny filter

Infragate

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XL
Just wondering, i want to put a filter in for my tranny but don't want to buy the kit. Is it possible to use just the spin on type hydraulic filter head and mount that instead? I don't think there is much of a difference. Then i will just buy an oil filter and mount it to the head. What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not quite clear on your question here, this is also a question that should probably be in "General Explorations." Most A/T kits comes with the filter and gasket, why would you not want to put that in? I don't think its possible to put a spin on tranny filter on. Only a few vehicles (Saturns, some newer GM trucks) use those type of filters.

jayhawkexplorer said:
Not quite clear on your question here, this is also a question that should probably be in "General Explorations." Most A/T kits comes with the filter and gasket, why would you not want to put that in? I don't think its possible to put a spin on tranny filter on. Only a few vehicles (Saturns, some newer GM trucks) use those type of filters.
yep thats right, maybe you mean an add on external filter? heh, if you wanna put on a tranny filter you def gotta take the pan off, its not to bad, the bolts are 13mm. thats what ya get for working on an explorer and bronco II in the same day :rolleyes:

Add on filter

Sorry guys, i meant an add on filter, i've already done the tranny filter and gasket, fluid etc. I want to put the add on filter which is a spin on type once the appropriate head is put in. I've noticed most of you guys are putting them under or near the drivers side wheel well. But like i said, if the head is similar to like a hydraulic filter head or a fuel filter head then i really don't want to buy the kit cause i can get the 2nd filter assembly in there for 1/3 the price. Can anyone tell me or maybe show me a pic of the head close up or tell me what size ports are in the sides of the head. Im just looking for a some what technical description on the head. Thanks for the help, you guys are great!

Get the kit!

If you get the kit, most come with a temp sensor and guage. If you are going to the trouble of adding an additional filter, why not add the temp guage too. It will tell you if you should have an additional tranny cooler as well. :roll:

I'v got a question nobody wants to answer so please help me.
I just installed a remote filter and a bigger pan. The pan doesn't have that hump were the stock internal filter hangs down to pick up the fluid though.
Since I have the remote filter I was going to just not run the internal one but will that effect the pick up of the fluid?
-James

Back