• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid question

My98xplorer

Reaction score
City, State
lakeland fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport
I changed the tranny filter and fluid today on my 98 Sport. I went to Discount and bought all te stuff, and i asked the guy behind the counter that looked up the part number for the filter if it said how many quarts of fluid i need. He told me 4. I got home and checked the owners manual cause that didnt seem right, and sure enough it said 9.75. So i drained the fluid, changed the filter and i was replacing the fluid, when i got to the 5th quart it started to overflow on me. I let it go down and checked the level and it was in the cross section which means dont add any more. The question is, when i drop the pan, am i only really changing about half of the fluid? The tranny seems to shift a little smoother, there was nothing wrong before, just preventive maintnence. I checked the fluid after driving it for a while and it was still just right. Any ideas where the rest of the fluid is??

when you drain the pan, there is still fluid in the torque converter. The torque converter can hold roughly 50% of the fluid, if not more. Generally the pan only holds around 3-4 quarts.

Back