Tranny fluid pour out with transer case removal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid pour out with transer case removal.

SCMark

Reaction score
City, State
Anderson, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997XLT
I want to know if this is normal. I am replacing my transfer case, and when I started sliding it back to clear the splined output shaft from the transmission, transmission fluid started pouring out. Is this normal? I was under the impression the transmission had a rear seal, and the rate of pour out was as if not seal was installed. Just want to know if it is normal.

I will get back under it after I get a truckload of cheap paper towels to soak it up so I am not crawling in it.

Yes, the transfer case seals the back of the tranny, removing the transfer case will cause some of the transmission fluid to leak out. Make sure you replace the gasket or use a sealant between the transfer case and transmission when you go back together.

Yes, the transfer case seals the back of the tranny, removing the transfer case will cause some of the transmission fluid to leak out. Make sure you replace the gasket or use a sealant between the transfer case and transmission when you go back together.

Thanks. I was able clean up enough to get a look, and you are right - no shaft seal. Wish I knew that before I broke the seal. Now the battle is with getting the old speed sensors out of the old case. already broke off the locating/retaining tab off the rear wheel sensor. I will have to rig it to work as I cant wait 'till the middle of the week for a new one.

Back