• Register Today It's free!

Tranny matching question

danh01

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer 302 V8
We have a 2000 Explorer with the 5.0l or 302 V8 AWD. Recently it was wrecked and has given up the ghost and has to go to the bone yard. But before sending it off we posted some of the parts like the engine and tranny for sale. Neither was hurt in the wreck as far as I could tell. A fella with a 1996 F150 2WD with a bad 302 engine came along and wanted to know if his could be swapped with mine. I told him probably but there would be some stuff from his old motor that would have to be swapped as well. Like the motor mounts and most likely some brackets like for the throttle for example and things like that would have to be changed. Then he asked if he could swap the tranny's as well. I guess he was wanting to keep my tranny and engine together. That quickly took things over my head. I could tell him some of the obvious things like the tranny mount would be different and most likely the linkage hook up would be different, then the F150's driveshaft might have to be changed, then the most obvious thing is I don't know if a AWD tranny and Diff can run in a 2WD vehicle. So I come here to pick the brains of the experts.

Back