Tranny swap or get it rebuilt or.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny swap or get it rebuilt or....

vegasjoe1969

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I have 95 4.0 XLT 4x4 AT, brought it to a shop since the OD light flashes. Code came up 647 - which thanks to this forum, it means 3rd gear incorrect ratio. Their estimate was $3900.00 to rebuilt! so i said no thanks.

4 hours later, I bought a 96 4.0 XLT 2x4 AT for $1600.00. It sound and runs good and the seller said the engine and tranny was rebuilt 45K miles ago
(it currenlty has 202,000 on the odometer).

Here as some ideas that is running in my cranium:

1. use the 96 as a DD then drop the tranny on the 95 and tried to rebuilt it myself, but I'm just a shade-tree mechanic so I dont have the confidence to do it, plus is there special tools I need?

2. get an already rebuilt for maybe < $1000.00 and get the 95 running again then sell the 96.

3. if possible w/o major issues, swap the tranny from the 96 to the 95 (since its rebuilt)

4. get a manual tranny from JY, but what is the headache I will run into since its auto from the factory

I would be doing all this work on my driveway and im limited on access to tools and as everyone know, money is very very limited.

I also prefer to keep the 95 since the body is great, no dings nor dent, no scratches and the inside is clean since the previous owner is an old lady.

The 96 have some dent, dings and scratches, inside is ok.

If you guys have any other suggestions besides what i mentioned, please feel free to tell me....oh yeah, I dont do alot of offroading but I would do it once in a while.

I've went through hell putting in a rebuilt 2 days ago and it was worst then the original I pulled out. I had 2 buddies helping me with 4 Rhino ramps and a tranny jack. Pulling that tranny and transfer case without removing the exhaust crossover is a pain. Putting it back in is no picnic either. The 2 buddies do not ever want to see a Ford Explorer again. I am at a point I am happy to shell out a grand or so to have it put in and have the truck running again. Right now it's sitting on 4 ramps with no reverse and forward gear won't go more than 25 mph. Tranny cost = 500.00, new torque converter= 220.00, rebuilt valve body/ solenoids = 150.00, back pain pills = 20.00 and the darn thing still not running right.:mad:

Back