• Register Today It's free!

Tranport Mode?

phelman

Reaction score
City, State
BAKERSFIELD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep GC
Test drove a new 2020 ST but did not have the interior package we wanted. The dealer reluctantly agreed to do a dealer exchange for the specific package my wife required. To make a long story short, the Explorer was delivered and we went to pick up. The vehicle was in detail but the salesperson went and got it after we refused to sign any paperwork without a test drive. My wife drove about 5 miles and we parked in a spot to take a closer look. It was missing the trim and towhook (like most now days) but not a deal breaker. It did not have the 1-2 shift hesitation- overall a nice ride. We started back to the dealer and the electronics shut off. The HVAC system shut down and the windows would not even go down. Nav was still functional but most of the rest of the center stack was non-op. It was about 105- so a hot ride back. We left the dealership after some short words with the salesperson.

Salesperson called back and said the Explorer was left in Transport Mode. Now I know this is a real thing, but my assumption is that transport mode is all or nothing. It is either in the mode or not. The first half of our drive was fine- car was perfect. It was only half way through that the electronics went haywire. Electronic problems are a nightmare (been through it) and I don't want to purchase if its going to be in the shop all the time. Thoughts? I am particular, but am unaware of how Ford's Transport Mode works. I have requested another dealer exchange- we will see if they want to sell me a car :)

Anybody know a good dealer in So Cal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We bought our ST from South Bay Ford Lincoln in Hawthorne CA. Everyone we dealt with was straight up. It was an easy transaction; but we ordered the car and used X-Plan so there really wasn't much to haggle over. The sales person was knowledgeable and kept us apprised of the order status. It's a hike from Bakersfield though.

@phelman

Thoughts?

Just saying -

A car is the most emotional purchase second to a house.

Lucky for you that your guardian angle was watching over you when you insisted on a test drive before signing the sales contract.

OK - so your wife was in the ST when it went haywire.

If you push her to allow the purchase of that particular ST, and it continues to have problems, you will never hear the end of it.

In fact - "while the iron is hot" - if you push her on ANY ST - well, you get the picture...

Hope that helps -

029807e834a6033d0674610907a324bb6c2a9622&rid=giphy.gif

Test drove a new 2020 ST but did not have the interior package we wanted. The dealer reluctantly agreed to do a dealer exchange for the specific package my wife required. To make a long story short, the Explorer was delivered and we went to pick up. The vehicle was in detail but the salesperson went and got it after we refused to sign any paperwork without a test drive. My wife drove about 5 miles and we parked in a spot to take a closer look. It was missing the trim and towhook (like most now days) but not a deal breaker. It did not have the 1-2 shift hesitation- overall a nice ride. We started back to the dealer and the electronics shut off. The HVAC system shut down and the windows would not even go down. Nav was still functional but most of the rest of the center stack was non-op. It was about 105- so a hot ride back. We left the dealership after some short words with the salesperson.

Salesperson called back and said the Explorer was left in Transport Mode. Now I know this is a real thing, but my assumption is that transport mode is all or nothing. It is either in the mode or not. The first half of our drive was fine- car was perfect. It was only half way through that the electronics went haywire. Electronic problems are a nightmare (been through it) and I don't want to purchase if its going to be in the shop all the time. Thoughts? I am particular, but am unaware of how Ford's Transport Mode works. I have requested another dealer exchange- we will see if they want to sell me a car :)

Anybody know a good dealer in So Cal?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Taking it out of "Transport Mode" is something that the dealer does when the vehicle is prepped prior to delivery. You should also ensure that the tires have been aired down to the proper psi from what the factory puts in.

Peter

Run don't walk, Run from that vehicle and dealership. I am currently dealing with a nightmare ST and neither Ford nor the dealership is being helpful. I have everything ou can imagine wrong with my ST and have had since day one. As advanced and interconnected as vehicles are today it can be a nightmare tracking down electrical issues.

It should be fine once it is taken out of Transport Mode
Run don't walk, Run from that vehicle and dealership. I am currently dealing with a nightmare ST and neither Ford nor the dealership is being helpful. I have everything ou can imagine wrong with my ST and have had since day one. As advanced and interconnected as vehicles are today it can be a nightmare tracking down electrical issues.
I think that advice is a little premature given that the vehicle was in Transport Mode. Let's wait to see how it performs once that feature has been disabled. Transport Mode used to reduce the drain on the battery during longer periods when the vehicle not used. As a result, certain system functions may be altered or disabled.
Don't forget the vehicle had not yet been prepped by the dealership.

Peter

It should be fine once it is taken out of Transport Mode
I think that advice is a little premature given that the vehicle was in Transport Mode. Let's wait to see how it performs once that feature has been disabled. Transport Mode used to reduce the drain on the battery during longer periods when the vehicle not used. As a result, certain system functions may be altered or disabled.
Don't forget the vehicle had not yet been prepped by the dealership.

Peter
Fair point on the transport mode however, he indicated things were working and stopped functioning, not to mention the navigation was working and nothing else was. I am by no means an expert on Ford transport mode but it does seem odd that it was all working and then stopped. On a recent road trip my air conditioning was working out of only the driver's side vents while the heat turned on in all other vents and before anyone says it was the auto climate, it was not as I have never used that feature. However, the a/c is the least of my worries since the brakes quite working while driving and I narrowly avoided an accident on the same road trip. Many here love the St and while not all have issues, I would be leary of one that malfunctioned on a short text drive.

Did you see something like this on your test drive?
1592167892557.png

However, the a/c is the least of my worries since the brakes quite working while driving and I narrowly avoided an accident on the same road trip.

:oops:

@Back2Ford

You really should document this event in detail on the Brake Issue thread, you could quite possibly save someone's life
Explorer Forum LINK: brake issue

As well as fill out the online form at NHSTA and as before, you could quite possibly save someone's life:
NHTSA VEHICLE COMPLAINT FORM LINK: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

:oops:

@Back2Ford

You really should document this event in detail on the Brake Issue thread, you could quite possibly save someone's life
Explorer Forum LINK: brake issue

As well as fill out the online form at NHSTA and as before, you could quite possibly save someone's life:
NHTSA VEHICLE COMPLAINT FORM LINK: File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
Thank you for the suggestions. I have taken a lot more drastic steps to resolve my issue to include BBB, lawyer etc. My vehicle has engine, transmission, electrical, and interior/exterior build quality issues that for wants to just fix and forget.

Fair point on the transport mode however, he indicated things were working and stopped functioning, not to mention the navigation was working and nothing else was. I am by no means an expert on Ford transport mode but it does seem odd that it was all working and then stopped. On a recent road trip my air conditioning was working out of only the driver's side vents while the heat turned on in all other vents and before anyone says it was the auto climate, it was not as I have never used that feature. However, the a/c is the least of my worries since the brakes quite working while driving and I narrowly avoided an accident on the same road trip. Many here love the St and while not all have issues, I would be leary of one that malfunctioned on a short text drive.

I test drove a ST in transport mode and nav did not work nor anything with 10" screen but radio. It was pretty much stripped down to no features working so not sure how their nav worked at first but it shouldn't have.

Did you see something like this on your test drive?
View attachment 317409

No, it indicated the cross traffic sensor was faulty, the back up sensor was faulty, the center stack went out, and the windows would not roll down. There was no message indicating that Transport Mode was engaged.

That sucks man. I have been down that road and it is no fun. Electrical gremlins are the worst and I am trying to avoid them.

Back