Trans fluid cooler lines. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans fluid cooler lines.

cskinner89

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT
I have a 93 X that the trans cooler lines rusted out. I got one of them off (the one that goes into the engine bay and connects to the top of the radiator) But I can seem to get the other off (the return) And there is only one section of line that's rusty (that runs near the engine) so I thought if I cut where the line was good and flared it somehow then slipped some rubber hose (something with strength similar to the rubber lines at the radiator) then sealed it off with a hose clamp or two it Should hold just fine... Do you think this will work?

PS. the explorer wont be a daily driver and isnt road worthy anyway. just want this as a patch so it can be started and driven again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I installed a second trans cooler I used 3/8 copper line and joined it using the rubber transmission line that came with the cooler kit. I flared the copper slightly so the rubber line wouldn't slip off easily. The transmission grade rubber lines are not fuel line, that stuff is heavier, you might have to get it from a transmission shop. NAPA and Ford didn't have it around here...

Could you patch the steel lines with the same diameter steel tubing and use compression fittings? Just a thought.

I will try to find some trans lines. I also thought about 3/8 hydraulic hose or something of that nature. also I could flare the line and use unions to connect them together

Also I can get power steering hose would that be sufficient?

Here in Canada NAPA charges 6$ a foot for transmission hose. where canadian tire sells it for 2.38$ a foot. any reason why the other stuff is more expensive?

Back