Trans slipping, O/D light flashing & no reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans slipping, O/D light flashing & no reverse

brickwall

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Erie, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I was on my way home from a friends and my trans started slipping going into overdrive, when I stopped to turn, it wouldn't move unless I manually shifted into each gear, when I got into drive the trans started slipping again, finally got it to my shop and went to back up and it would barely move. Scanned the PCM and got code: P0734 Gear ratio 4 incorrect, any suggestions before sending it to the tranny shop?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the fluid level? If it was low, how low was it, and how is the color of the fluid? Also, have you reset the codes and if so is the OD light still blinking?

Fluid was full, a little dark but not bad, the O/D light comes back on and flashes after i try to drive it up the road. Sent it to the tranny shop today, they dropped the pan and there was a bunch of metal bits in there. They're pulling it out tonight and calling me in the morning.

Just wondering how many miles are on it, and did it give you any other warnings ahead of time?

Around 95,000 miles, occasionally had a flare between third and fourth, but hadn't had any problems recently

How much is the estimate for a rebuild? If you are interested pheonix trans has the cheapest rebuild that I have found, and their shipping is reasonable.

Still waiting to hear back from them for the estimate. I live in Canada so I'd have to pay duty, aswell as shipping to get one out of the states.

Well, to start, the overdrive band was broken, the pressure plate for overdrive is broken, all the clutches for overdrive are completely destroyed and the torque converter is full of metal filings....but still no estimate...this just sounds expensive.

Back