Transfer case grinding? trans slipping? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case grinding? trans slipping?

aldadank1

Reaction score
City, State
Coral Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4x4
Hello everyone. I've been doing research on here for my Explorer for over a year now and love this site...just about any question I have is answered here. With that being said, I have a question that I can't seem to find a specific answer to...

Here's the breakdown:

I have a 1996 Explorer 4.0L V6 Control Trac 4WD. I had the trans rebuilt in August 2011. Ever since having the trans replaced, I have noticed that it shifts hard once its warm and sometimes that transmission will flare when shifting b/w 1st and 2nd gears, and being in SoFla, it happens pretty quick sometimes. Today, I reversed into a parking spot and went to pull out about 30 secs later. When I put it into Drive, there was nothing...the car just revved up. I put it into 1st and it would move. Even in 2nd it seemed to not want to really go, and then I heard a grinding, like if I had a manual and grinded the gears for a sec. (I thought maybe I need tranny fluid?) But when I started driving in 1st and then shifted into Drive, it was ok. It's done this a couple of times over the past week.

I've been having issues since the trans was rebuilt. I even brought it back to the shop and they said that it was the transfer case and that because my Explorer was a 4x4 they couldn't work on it. When I first bought the truck the owner said that he disconnected the 4x4 to improve gas mileage. I didn't really believe it, but have also been kind of sketched out to try it.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is do you think that I may still be having transmission issues or do you think it's the transfer case? What are some things I can check on at home to kinda narrow down my diagnosis. This is my daily driver and I don't want to mess things up any worse.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. :D

-Alex

UPDATE:

I haven't driven the truck since this happened. When I got home a little while ago, I backed the truck up to the street to have it sit level and check the tranny fluid; it's clean and full. There are no leaks. I did notice though that my 4x4 doesn't engage nor do the lights come on the dash. When I put it in Drive, the car just revs. When I put it in 1st or 2nd it moves and then I can put it in Drive and it goes...Are these symptoms of the transfer case or is my tranny going again??

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks!

Back