Transfer case needed photos for ID | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case needed photos for ID

Lazerskull

Reaction score
City, State
Loomis, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, Explorer, XLT
1997 Ford Explorer Transfer Case 4x4 (part-time, electric
shift), ID F77A-7A195-GA VIN#1FMDU34E3VUC20970

V6 4.0 SOHC XLT MODEL (Control Trac) 4X4 1997

This was under a junker at Pick and Pull same make and model as mine. This is the TC I need.

Anybody out there got one or have any leads.?
Thanks in advance.

IMG_5840.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

704074073.jpg

IMG_5838.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your 96-97 has the speed sensor in the tailhousing so yes you can only use a 96-97 control trac case for a bolt in replacemen

This makes it very difficult to find a good used unit as 96-97 was a looooooong time ago.

However you can use a control trac t case from a 98-01 also if you split the case and install the back half of your 97 case into the new one, thus retaining the vehicle speed sensor. This literally takes about 30 minutes to do

If you want to do a control trac delete and go to a much more reliable 1354 t case we can help you with that as well.

Your 96-97 has the speed sensor in the tailhousing so yes you can only use a 96-97 control trac case for a bolt in replacemen

This makes it very difficult to find a good used unit as 96-97 was a looooooong time ago.

However you can use a control trac t case from a 98-01 also if you split the case and install the back half of your 97 case into the new one, thus retaining the vehicle speed sensor. This literally takes about 30 minutes to do

If you want to do a control trac delete and go to a much more reliable 1354 t case we can help you with that as well.
I'm interested in the 1354.

Smart move

The control trac part of the t case is what wears out… not many good 96-97 cases still out there. The 1354 is tough as nails gives you true 2wd, 4hi and 4 low

You need a 91-97 ranger case (will have speed sensor) or 91-94 explorer case (before control trac) and front driveshaft

Hey I threw in a used TCase (4405 1997) and now I'm getting 0 readings from my speed sensor
Seems to shift funny and AWD seems to want to turn on when making sharp turns also.

Checked tires PSI even installed a new ball joint so as to rule those out.

It's gotta be the speed sensor for that TCase you know off hand the par number for the one I can just swap it in the rear of the housing right?

Responded to your thread

Back