• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Noise

From the top down:
Stock AWD D shaft
F150 D shaft cut down a little bit
Jeep front d shaft
Explorer Rear d shaft

driveshaftdouble_001_Small_.jpg

End shots same order just sideways - notice the jeep shaft has a different connection for the T case

driveshaftdouble_002_Small_.jpg

Yoke Comparisons: Left to right

Jeep
Stock D Shaft
F150 shaft with conversion joint

driveshaftdouble_004_Small_.jpg

Ford D shaft some what taken apart

driveshaftdouble_007_Small_.jpg

Ford flanged piece

driveshaftdouble_008_Small_.jpg

More pictures comming ASAP

Jeep double cardan

driveshaftdouble_010_Small_.jpg

U joints- AZ only had these three. The brute force went in the middle u joint because it is impossible to get a grease gun in there anyway. The other two have zurks.

driveshaftdouble_011_Small_.jpg

Completed Double cardan

driveshaftdouble_012_Small_.jpg

Completed D shaft

driveshaftdouble_015_Small_.jpg

Comparison shot- the DC driveshaft is about 1/4" longer than my cut down F150 shaft. It just barely fits between the diff and T Case, but it is not bottomed out.

driveshaftdouble_019_Small_.jpg

Last picture- bolted up rear angle

driveshaftdouble_020_Small_.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm glad things worked out in the end :)

IZwack said:
I'm glad things worked out in the end :)

Me too.

Now if I can stay married everything will be fine. She told me not to spend any more money at all. I found these for a good deal and couldnt resist. Then I had to buy $40 worth of U joints on top of that. :D

Somebody please buy my old parts and let me get some money back- please?

mountaineergree said:
Me too.

Now if I can stay married everything will be fine. She told me not to spend any more money at all.

Just buy her a new pair of shoes, tell her " you wouldnt beleive the stuff I found for the truck while I was looking for these".

just tell her all the $$$ you will save on gas and tires now that you are 2wd, flowers, shoes and wine does not hurt making it more convincing either

lol- ill probably survive- just have to not spend so much time on here (she says I spend way to much time) and be on my best behavior for a while. I even helped her clean up last night because I knew what was going to happen today.

Then I can always say I bought it before you said not to buy anything else when the credit card statement comes in. :D

Yikes! looks like she wears the pants :)
Whenever I would get that from my Ex GF's I would point to their car, which I was making payments on, with AC, new tires, always waxed and washed, tuned up, etc and then point to my Bronco...which was my daily for 11 years, has rust, is three colors, no AC, etc etc.....
usually they would kinda let it be after that.....

Well in all fairness I have spent a ton of money lately, and in the last year on my truck. Ive spent almost 3k this year on it! She just gets tired of me working on it all the time. I am the only one working, so she doesn't have as much say as she would like, she worries about money alot more than I do.

The way I see it is I graduate in Dec, I do not know where I will be or what Ill be doing. I want to get all my modifications done that I want to do because I may not always have the nice big place to work on it. After all when it is slow around here, I work on my truck and get paid for it. Now I am done untill I turn it into a off road rig only, I have a wonderful foundation for it now.

I am single, I still have my trucks, maybe now you can see why they are ex's
She msut support my addiction!!! I work on trucks ALOT, not just my own.....

I vote if you have no vibrations now dont tempt fate
when they balance that suicker they balanced the shaft that you are using, so right now its closer then it would be w/o those weights

410Fortune said:
I vote if you have no vibrations now dont tempt fate
when they balance that suicker they balanced the shaft that you are using, so right now its closer then it would be w/o those weights

I have a small vibration at highway speeds that I didn't have before. I guess its not worth risking. If I take em off, they cant go back on.

they are welded on right?

look at it this way, at least you are very good at U joints now :)

410Fortune said:
they are welded on right?

look at it this way, at least you are very good at U joints now :)

Im not certain how they are attached-

I am the u joint master after today. Did you see how rusty those Junk yard u joints were? I ruined a cheap socket beating those things out after soaking them in PB Blaster. :hammer: Those double cardans are a pain to put together!

I love my HF ball joint/ u joint press more and more each day
oh and PB blaster

Just found this thread...

Great to hear you got the double cardan figured out using the junkyard approach. When I installed the F150 non CV shaft I was worried, since I was removing a CV shaft.

It stands to reason a 4" lift (which drops the differential 4") would increase the driveshaft angle dramatically.

Just found this thread...

Great to hear you got the double cardan figured out using the junkyard approach. When I installed the F150 non CV shaft I was worried, since I was removing a CV shaft.

It stands to reason a 4" lift (which drops the differential 4") would increase the driveshaft angle dramatically.

Yep, the standard joint worked until the lift, but then the angle was too much. The junkyard combo shaft only cost me $75!

EDIT- I just read this over again and whew was it a pain! It was only two months ago also, seems alot longer than that.

Yep, the standard joint worked until the lift, but then the angle was too much. The junkyard combo shaft only cost me $75!

EDIT- I just read this over again and whew was it a pain! It was only two months ago also, seems alot longer than that.

I might play around with the hybrid double cardan shaft on mine. I do have minor vibrations when the front driveshaft is installed, and Jesse at High Angle Driveline did suggest I run a double cardan.

Next time you have the shaft out of the vehicle, can you please measure the overall length of the hybrid shaft as it is in the truck, then extended and compressed?

Thanks,
Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might play around with the hybrid double cardan shaft on mine. I do have minor vibrations when the front driveshaft is installed, and Jesse at High Angle Driveline did suggest I run a double cardan.

Next time you have the shaft out of the vehicle, can you please measure the overall length of the hybrid shaft as it is in the truck, then extended and compressed?

Thanks,
Aaron

I'd be glad to, but I don't know when that will be as I hope to not remove it anytime soon. I can get you a close collapsed length by measuring my conversion shaft, if that will help. I am almost certain the same setup would work with your setup, there is plenty of length left in the slip yoke on the jeep d shaft.

Back