Solved - Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
When I have disassembled transmissions I frequently note how little wear there is on the friction material. This is patricularly true with bands. I do not agree that bands should be, or need to be adjusted every 15,000 miles.

If someone just HAD to have an interval to make them happy, I'd be more likely to say every 35-50,000 miles. That said, there are tons of vehicles out there with 100,000 miles operating just fine without any band adjustment having been done.

It won't hurt anything, certainly... it's just not like failing to do it every 15,000 miles is going to cause your tranny to break.

The band that is more likely to need it is the OD band. And on an aging A4LD, for example, I'd be watching how I used the OD on long uphills or towing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would this be helpful in my situation?

My '98 with 4.0 SOHC and 153,000 seems to be slipping. When excelerating it feels like it has good power but I can hold say 3000rpm and the vehicle is accelerating pretty well. Sometimes between shifts the rpms will jump and then it will slide into gear. It's tough to tell sometimes when a shift occurs. I will hear a difference in the engine but the rpms stay the same and the rate of acceleration is continous. When cruising with the speed control on it holds steady and gives no clue there is a problem. Thanks.

:salute:

Excellent write up BB and I rated it the same way.:thumbsup:
And heres a :thumbsup: to Glacier for polishing it up.

I need some help! My 96 XLT AWD V8 experiences a vibration when it goes into overdrive, and it feels like it slips and then catches. After that it drives smooth. The shift into OD is the only shift that does this. Thanks in advance.

I'd start by changing my fluid to Merc V... flush out all the old and change to the new... this has a decent chance of eliminating your shudder at OD engagement.

I realize this is an explorer forum, but since Rangers and Explorers are "cousins", I figured I could pick up good stuff here...and I have. This thread.

Well, I just finished this on my 03 Ranger (with 87,000 mi). After the band adjustment, it feels like a brand new truck. Every shift is considerably firmer, and the 2-3 "flare" is almost eliminated under hard acceleration. I'm sure my Bama tune probably plays a big part in the shifting, but I don't remember it feeling this good when it was brand new.

Since I'm not a tranny man, I don't know if this much wear is typical or not...assuming this is how the factory sets them also. When I did the adjusment, I paid particular attention to not change any of the settings & how much I had to turn everything. The intermediate band wasn't too bad (I think). It took 3 full turns to hit the 120 in/lbs of torque. Then I backed it off the 2 turns, giving me about 1 full turn of wear. The overdrive band was 2 1/4 turns of wear out of adjustment. That seems a little excessive to me. What do you guys with "tranny know" think?

The thing that really burns me about this is that I have been asking around since about 60,000 mi to get my tranny adjusted. EVERY tranny shop and dealer has told me "there's no adjustment with these transmissions".

help

I just wanted to answer your question with additional information from post # 7 above:

hey i could use a little help myself, i noticed that the reference said in extreme cases loss of drive, well i had my tranny rebuilt 43k ago with no other work done except fluid changes(last week) most recent. I was on the beach today at around 25 mph and 3g on the tach, all of the sudden it felt as if the truck went into neutral, total loss of all fwd drive, only had reverse, no check engine light no od drive light nothing. then after i backed it off the flat bed into my driveway
i figure to try drive again and with a little tire chirp off she went, put it in park then tried drive again, nothing, only sounds of like a break pad being depressed against the rotor, i know ( hard to describe sound) could this be my bands are way off? I have a 96 ex with control track, no engine trouble. any help would be great thank you( sorry if i am jacking the thread just thought it might be the bands needing adjusting.

thanks I will try those others, I was under it earlier, the valve body seems secure, and I had reverse gear the whole time, but only reverse, and 4wd auto and low in reverse, just no fwd drive gears, just tryin to find the simpliest things first, did rule out tranny fluid level, checked that right away, that is why i was thinking band adjustment, is it possible to let go like that?

Let me suggest you start a new thread on "4R/5R NO FORWARD" and we can go from there...

A while back i replaced my front pump in my 5r55e due to breaking the middle gear from not putting it in right, well when i took it out the band came lose and i had to losen the adjusting bolt to put it back in, well i thought i put it in the same place because the nut seemed to be in the same position, now my od band is noisy most of the time, the first band is the od band correct? Could this be due to not adjusted properly? Thanks..

Welcome to this forum! I would recommend adjusting both bands at the same time. The 5R55E does not a physical overdrive 5th gear. It combines gear ratios together to get the 5th gear.
So there are two bands? I dont even understand what the band does to be quite honest with you.. Both adjust by the 120 inlbs then 2 turns back?

Yes, this is correct. The bands are controlled by the servo pistons which engage when there is a need to hold the drum which contains the clutch pack assemblies. Read the diary threads on this forum for more information, and detailed pictures.

you seem like just the expert we need :)

94 ford explorer xlt upon acceleration goes to about 5000-5500 rpm -slight slip and then if i lift off gas trans shifts about 2800. Do the bands need adjusting- great post with pic btw- or is it the valve body, sensor -something else.
My husband is a diesel mechanic, jack of all trades- master of none, you know :)
He replaced the vacuum modulator but that didn't really help.
Thanks for your time and any advice you can give us on what it might be. Your posts and pics are wonderful.thanks for all you do

Welcome to this forum! How many miles do you have? When was the filter, and fluid replaced last? You might have sticking spools in the valve body, or possibly a blocked filter. I'll post my response in this thread, but I would recommend starting a new thread with these issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Band adjustment

I've got everything I need to do the adjustment on my 99.Explorer.
I just completed the Ford TSB VB upgrades and replaced the EPC to try and correct the 2-3 shift flare.
It seems to shift better but I still have a little flare. Anyway, I notice the DTR sensor looks like it might be in the way. When I go to adjust the intermediate band. If I remove the DTRS is there a way to adjust the DTRS without having the special tool?

Thanks

Back