Transmission cooler line connection dilem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission cooler line connection dilem

Love you guys, but, I've seen everything on youtube, which is what started the questions :)

BUT - this is good for others to see..becase as you see at 8:36, it IS free-floating (see guys, this is why it's dangerous to assume or give others advice based on what you own, if what you own is different ;) )

So I already know I need to drain the radiator fluid (or at the very least be ok with some leaking out during the swap). What the video doesn't answer though is if there's a secondary *internal* seal between that free-floating threaded fitting and the black plastic case. That's the basis of my question, and what everyone says can fall down and why they recommend doing it on new radiators with it flat on the ground (vs vertical). And (presumably?) why fordtechmakuloko recommends doing it when new/dry 'so there's no cross-contamination' (per his words)

Anywho, doesn't seem like I'll get a for-sure answer on this, so might just need to gamble and find out myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With all due respect, you guys are referencing 'your trucks' which are not 4th gen. I too have other vehicles with internal rad trans coolers (in fact, all my other vehicles do) - that do not have this potential problem, but that's not what I'm asking about. I'm looking for feedback from someone with direct experience with this exact model and radiator.
ive replaced the leaking A/T cooler fitting on my 07 gen4.
what feedback exactly do you looking for?

there is no seals inside because of how cars radiators built like forever...do you looking for someone who reassembled the radiator to show you how it built? don't waste your time

ive replaced the leaking A/T cooler fitting on my 07 gen4.
what feedback exactly do you looking for?

The question is, when the cooler fitting is removed from the radiator, what does the hole and threads look like underneath? Are there any moveable parts inside the hole, or is it just threads there, firmly attached to the radiator? I'm expecting it should be solidly attached, and moving the radiator then, shouldn't have any effect on the cooler inside.

Well we know per that video that it's not firmly fitted to the radiator, since he was able to push it and move it around. But yes, I need to know what's between that and the backside of the plastic radiator. I think I'll just drain the dang radiator and look for myself lol.

Baxx270 I get what your'e saying, but fact is, how they've been 'built for forever' doesn't matter here, because clearly as you can see from that video, it's a non-standard design. The internal trans tank inside the radiator free-floats and can move. Beyond that simple fact, we don't know. And yes, I suppose I as hoping that someone had opened it up to see what specifically was going on with the way it mounts up inside, but I appreciate that that might be wishful thinking lol.

Here's what is inside the lower tank. External fitting holds the cooler to the tank. Mine cracked under the overflow tank up top.

20230111_160629.jpg 20230111_160706.jpg IMG_20180224_153817.jpg

Aha!!! There IS a seal between the two. Wishful thinking, success! Thank you!!!! So now I know that yes, I need to drain and yes, I need to be careful of that black seal falling inside. I can clearly see how that could happen now by looking at that pic. At this point, looking more like I'll want to just bypass to play it safe.

Thanks a million for this!!!

Aha!!! There IS a seal between the two. Wishful thinking, success! Thank you!!!! So now I know that yes, I need to drain and yes, I need to be careful of that black seal falling inside. I can clearly see how that could happen now by looking at that pic. At this point, looking more like I'll want to just bypass to play it safe.

Thanks a million for this!!!
Yup. Does your E/B not have the aux cooler in front of the condenser?

Yes it does have the aux cooler. Looks like it runs through the radiator cooler then up through the aux cooler after that. My plan is to simply run the lines that would normally run to the radiator through this instead: Trans Cooler

Then after that it would still run through the aux cooler as normal. Any pitfalls you can see in doing that?

Yes it does have the aux cooler. Looks like it runs through the radiator cooler then up through the aux cooler after that. My plan is to simply run the lines that would normally run to the radiator through this instead: Trans Cooler

Then after that it would still run through the aux cooler as normal. Any pitfalls you can see in doing that?

That one and most add on coolers are not large enough to cool an entire trans, but many used with an OEM trans cooler can be fine, if your climate isn't too hot in Summer.

I would suggest simply another OEM Explorer trans cooler, plumbed in parallel. The best solution is a Super Duty trans cooler taken from one of several bigger Ford trucks. There is one that is basically very long like the radiator is wide, and 6-8" in height, which fits the area near the bottom in front of the radiator, well. Find Travelers' thread of his off road project Explorer, somewhere in that thread he installed that cooler, pictured too.

Ohh good idea. I'll just use the one from my 2014 F150. Upgraded that to the "Saudi style" trans cooler and still have the OEM.

Back