2020 Ford Explorer Transmission Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Ford Explorer Transmission Issues

Nicole31555

Reaction score
City, State
Hinesville, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Bought 2020 Ford Explorer after 3 months the transmission cooler went out. They ensured me no damaged was done to the transmission. 2.5 yrs later I need a new transmission at 70,000 miles. My brake pads lasted longer that the transmission. Per dealership damage was done due to excessive heat. Ford has agreed to pay all but 3,500.00 of the repair. How can I fight them to make them pay ALL of the repair? Due to faulty transmission cooler. Dealer won’t tell me if the transmission cooler has went out on it right now just a new transmission. Help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If damage was done from the cooler, I don't see how you got another 65k before the failure. I don't think one had to do with the other.

Plenty of cooler failures early on and nobody needing transmissions.

Bought 2020 Ford Explorer after 3 months the transmission cooler went out. They ensured me no damaged was done to the transmission. 2.5 yrs later I need a new transmission at 70,000 miles. My brake pads lasted longer that the transmission. Per dealership damage was done due to excessive heat. Ford has agreed to pay all but 3,500.00 of the repair. How can I fight them to make them pay ALL of the repair? Due to faulty transmission cooler. Dealer won’t tell me if the transmission cooler has went out on it right now just a new transmission. Help!!!
If it's been 2.5 years since the cooler was done and 70k miles. It's not the coolers fault, or Fords especially if it drove just fine for 2.5 years. If it didn't it's your fault for not noticing and not taking it in. But there's nothing we can do we're just people on the internet. Did you notice any hard shifts? Did you tow anything heavier than the tow rating or before you got the cooler replaced? Used or new? All helpful questions.

Car has never towed anything. I took it back several times saying it shifts hard. They told me it was normal. I bought it brand new. I have asked them to see if this cooler has gone out and has caused this damage. I am waiting to hear back.

Do you have any documentation showing you took it in several times? I keep detailed notes on every time I talked on the phone, spoke to or emailed them about an issue. In court, just having notes and dates carries a lot more weight than just you saying so. I'm fighting with them now over a blown transmission Ford does not want to cover and I have a detailed recorded showing it started slipping the day I picked it up after having the transmission serviced. The service manager is saying it's from me messing around with FORScan but my notes show different.

Do you have any documentation showing you took it in several times? I keep detailed notes on every time I talked on the phone, spoke to or emailed them about an issue. In court, just having notes and dates carries a lot more weight than just you saying so. I'm fighting with them now over a blown transmission Ford does not want to cover and I have a detailed recorded showing it started slipping the day I picked it up after having the transmission serviced. The service manager is saying it's from me messing around with FORScan but my notes show different.
Yes I have all of that too. Ford is stating they will only pay for half of the transmission.

Yes I have all of that too. Ford is stating they will only pay for half of the transmission.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Although you didn't say, I'm guessing the original cooler was replaced. I don't know if you can tell if the replacement is bad or not but you are within your rights to have it given to you if it is being replaced. There may be a way to test it. Tell them you want the part back so you can see if it failed. That may get some results.
Did you use FORScan?

Peter

Honestly, if they are willing to pay half that is a pretty fair deal in my opinion. Had you ever serviced the transmission? I have mine done every 30k miles.

Back