Transmission flush 2003 Explorer? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission flush 2003 Explorer?

So what if i dont change the filter or fluid in my tranny. It runs good now at 116,00 miles without it being serviced before. Am I playing with fire?
The transmissions from DORF are JUNK!!!

They don't last.
These gen 3's are notorious for being the worst for failures.
First its the reverse bang slam, and then a few 10k intervals more the entire trans is blown gone, and that is all highway and no towing.

If the fluid is not bright red, its burnt over time.

And thus should have been changed a long time back.

Change filter and what's in the pan.

The way I got to about 175k before it was blown was by changing the pan oil at the same intervals as the engine oil.

A rebuild cost $2300 and then a month later the T case chain stretched and the T case was trash.

And that was simply driving to work on a flat road, no towing, and with the measly HP the G3 has, there isn't much torque the trans sees either.

I've been looking All over the place to figure out how to flush my 2005 Explorer and I thank you for this advice cuz it just makes perfect sense I got 13 qts mercon V got a new filter I got the pan down and old filter off. And Iknow that 12.7 quarts have not come. And I been trying to figure out how to get it all out.. How long should I run it? how many miles? Before I drop the trans pan again. So I should put in 4 quarts at a time?
On the passenger side in front of the engine there are the hose connections just like the fuel injection couplers. You just need the tool to separate them. You disconnect the one and let the trans pump push all the fluid out at idle..

You'll need more than 13 to get what's left in the converter clean.. I think I did like 15 or 16?? Once it slows down, you pump in a few more until it's acceptable. Then you fill it up. You'll need the little fitting to connect to the pan and a hand pump.

I have an 2003 XLT w 114,000 miles. I bought it with 50,000 miles about 5 years ago. I have never had the trans fluid serviced since I have had it. I have no idea if it was done by the previous owner. Is this something I should get done. Should I get a flush and filter change or just a flush? I hear differing theories on this. Anyone with experience on this? Thanks.
I dropped my pan and changed the filter. I used this heavy-duty Valvoline SynGuard ES **** I found at Napa. Now, I understand the Motocraft die-hards are going to want to string me up on a noose for this, but it worked like a charm. Everything down there has been running smoothly for over 3k. I did have a tranny failure light and shutdown occur about 5k ago, (blinking o/d, performance gone) I haven't had it return with this new stuff and she shifts like butter.

Back