Transmission health | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission health

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll get a pic of the fluid color. Like I said can't scan codes. Or maybe someone can show me a scanner that can.
20220509_161910.jpg

Don't have a laptop/wireless obd2 connector

even if you cant run forscan, maybe you can get one that interfaces with a phone so that you can read codes, or just get one of those ones that is self contained for lack of a better word. and the fluid doesnt look too bad, but does raise some concern given the mileage on fluid. is it the lucas making it change color quicker tha normal? just spitballing

even if you cant run forscan, maybe you can get one that interfaces with a phone so that you can read codes, or just get one of those ones that is self contained for lack of a better word. and the fluid doesnt look too bad, but does raise some concern given the mileage on fluid. is it the lucas making it change color quicker tha normal? just spitballing
I agree fluid looks ok

do you know what the lucas loiks like overtiem? does it brown overtime? just curious!

I agree fluid looks ok
Quick question could the code and the transmission acting up be from lack of driving? It was sitting for quite awhile as it took me a few days to get the rear shocks done on this thing.

Anything is possible
Gonna need the codes to start troubleshooting

Anything is possible
Gonna need the codes to start troubleshooting
Would they be stored in the computer or only for the key cycle.

Not sure for your year
Someone else will tell us

depends, for mine the computer stores em till either its resolved or i clear it, but not sure bout yours. i assume it would store it though if its soemthing like tranny, but really not sure.

Most scanners these days can check manufacture Specific codes

Flashing od light = there is code in memory

You need the code

Would be a simple shift solenoid issue or?

Always start w the code

Flashing od light = limp mode, the trans is running at full line pressure designed to get you to the nearest repair shop

Automatic transmissions usually(95%) don't fail due to the parts which are replaced in a rebuild, not counting the shift solenoids. Most issues begin or are contributed to by the solenoids, accumulators, and various valve body parts(wear and leaks). Thus many people have success by replacing the VB, they swap that out and hope for the best.

Unless the mileage is low enough to assume that there's only one problem part etc, then all of those parts I mentioned, are suspect. The clutches do not wear out usually from mileage, any mileage. What kills them are poor solenoid or VB functioning, internal passage leaks etc, which cause excess clutch slippage.

So, why guess at one part and change the one part, knowing everything is time consuming to do? I suggest replacing everything possible in the VB, plus all of the solenoids and accumulators(those all have seals on them which harden and leak over a long time). If you will do those things, then either it will work right, or the rest needs to be rebuilt. In any case, what you do now doesn't hurt a rebuild later, and shouldn't cost extra(it should reduce the cost of a rebuild(they never do any of the Sonnax VB upgrades anyway)).

Browse the Sonnax website for your trans, the 5R55E, any automatic. Find the section for that model, and see what they sell to improve it. Most of what they will have will be VB parts, small kits that are relatively easy to install for anyone. For most Fords they will have about $100 in small kit items for the VB. The 5R55E also has some unique issues, which Sonnax somewhere on their site exposes, with diagrams and answers. One is the problem of the main case, long fluid passages. The pressure changes inside the VB can over time cause movement of those passage walls, which are deep up into the case. They suggest installing(wedging) a set screw up into the passages in a couple of places, which supports them better to stop them from moving(which will blow out the VB gasket in that area). I haven't done that yet to my 5R55E, but I read about it many years ago, and that was years after others here reporting blown VB gaskets, not knowing why then.

Depends on the ultimate destination of the vehicle.

If this truck will get a trans rebuild if it needs it, spending the money on the VB and solenoids and accumulators and upgrades is worth it.

If rebuild = junkyard, then it’s potentially wasted $. In that case, diagnosis prior to parts.

Alrighty so found some stuff out. Code is PO372 2nd and 3rd surges/bad separator plate, any advice on were to find the separator plate. I'm sorry but sonnax is out do to the fact the nearest place being 300 miles from me. I'll probably have a guy do the upgrades on it when pull it. Also have a leaky rear Maine so the tranny will have to come out eventually. Maybe have a shop to the rear timing to idk. This thing runs great, so it depends

ford has the updated seperator plate iirc, and i think you can order the zip kit online though? not too sure. in that case its the infamous 2-3 flare, so in that case i think the shift kits wrere designed to correct that, right? if you pull the trans, i see no reason to pull the engine if there is no issue w the timing stuff, as the extra work aint worth it if it aint broken, but jmo. transgo also makes a kit iirc.

Funny thing is the transmission fluid looks cleaner in the Explorer then the fluid in my yukon 11 years newer fun fun

well thats never bad! in that case, imo it points torward a VB failure, not a band/clutch failure then, so looks like its in your favor ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well thats never bad! in that case, imo it points torward a VB failure, not a band/clutch failure then, so looks like its in your favor ;)
Yep so far he is lucky ....

Back