Transmission health | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission health

Yep so far he is lucky ....
now only time (and diagnosis) will tell! (now, sure as the sun will cross the sky... (wrong only time will tell :D ))

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a 95% chance the problem is one of the parts I mentioned before. Which one do you want to guess at first, and try? Then which will you change next, and then next, knowing that all of them are old and highly suspect?

The cost for all of it is likely $300 or so for the parts, plus the one time labor. Why do part of it and pay similar labor for each part, or a guess of a part or parts, and then have to do the rest soon enough later on? To me that's being a cheapass, a rebuild will be $2500+, but you balk at $300 and try to save $200 by skipping many of those important parts. Do it right, do them all, one time, in one step. Then if it doesn't work great, then you can expect it to require a rebuild. If you don't do it all, and something still isn't right, you are back where you were, and guessing again.

sort of agree, doesnt make sense to pull and do timing and not do tranny right imo, if you wanna skip some of thr work, CVB has Vbs already done. or the sonnax zip kit, or transgo, or superior are the normal ones. but focus on the tranny, as fixing something that aint broken on the motor, but half fixing the trans doesnt make sense to me...

check your aim, we about to fire off the parts cannon!! :D :D :D :shoot:

kidding!

The last trans I did a full service on was my 99 5R55E, in 2006 when I bought it. I went from 77,450 miles to 152k miles, when something broke(piece of torrington bearing shell in pan). It shifted great from day one with the TransGo VB kit and what Sonnax parts they had then, plus the solenoids and accumulators. I didn't know about the gaskets blowing out being caused by the case passages, so I don't have the set screws in that one. But rebuilding it soon it won't need much, new solenoids etc, for sure, and the existing VB should be fine still.

The same goes for all automatics, almost every one has similar choices for parts and upgrades.

There's a 95% chance the problem is one of the parts I mentioned before. Which one do you want to guess at first, and try? Then which will you change next, and then next, knowing that all of them are old and highly suspect?

The cost for all of it is likely $300 or so for the parts, plus the one time labor. Why do part of it and pay similar labor for each part, or a guess of a part or parts, and then have to do the rest soon enough later on? To me that's being a cheapass, a rebuild will be $2500+, but you balk at $300 and try to save $200 by skipping many of those important parts. Do it right, do them all, one time, in one step. Then if it doesn't work great, then you can expect it to require a rebuild. If you don't do it all, and something still isn't right, you are back where you were, and guessing again.
Truthfully I'm rolling that way with a leaky rear maine I thinking more towards the rebuild and overall reliability too.

Truthfully I'm rolling that way with a leaky rear maine I thinking more towards the rebuild and overall reliability too.
make sure its a good rebuilder, rebuilds depend largely upon the skill of the person behind it. soemtimes they can be a crapshoot... or you could try a remanned unit? not too sure, maybe then you could DIY?

make sure its a good rebuilder, rebuilds depend largely upon the skill of the person behind it. soemtimes they can be a crapshoot... or you could try a remanned unit? not too sure, maybe then you could DIY?
Would love to try but don't have the means

I’m showing P0372 as an engine code, not a trans code…?

Or 0732, 2nd gear incorrect ratio?

I’m showing P0372 as an engine code, not a trans code…?

Or 0732, 2nd gear incorrect ratio?
huh, didnt even see that! cant 0732 be caused by stuff like Vb or solenoids? cause if it isnt fully enagged and given TC, the input shaft speed should match output, but it doesnt. could that be caused by a VB issue?

yeah, so unrelated to the trans... but an issue nonetheless... probably the cam or crank pos sensor...
Which could affect shifting in the computer just like abs affects shifting on speed output

it can? i thought it only caused misfires and vibration, but not a shifting issue, didnt know that, thanks for teaching me!!!

I was wondering if it was a typo…want to make sure we are getting accurate info here.

If it is a 0732, that could be your OD band slipping. If the VB and gasket checks out, you can pop the cover to the OD servo (side of the case) and inspect the servo. The rubber on those gets old and brittle as ****, and if you got a **** rebuild, the guy may not have changed it.

It would also show 5th gear issues though.

Not sure how accessible it is with the trans in the truck though. I haven’t been under a V6 in a while…but I’m sure that won’t last long

I was wondering if it was a typo…want to make sure we are getting accurate info here.
O
If it is a 0732, that could be your OD band slipping. If the VB and gasket checks out, you can pop the cover to the OD servo (side of the case) and inspect the servo. The rubber on those gets old and brittle as ****, and if you got a **** rebuild, the guy may not have changed it.

It would also show 5th gear issues though.

Not sure how accessible it is with the trans in the truck though. I haven’t been under a V6 in a while…but I’m sure that won’t last long
It is PO732 weird thing is though is the top end gears give me no issue just the 2nd and 3rd. I mean I'll order the valve body shift kit and go from there I understand with these transmissions and there brittle O/D it only shows the code for 2nd just fyi

It is PO732 weird thing is though is the top end gears give me no issue just the 2nd and 3rd. I mean I'll order the valve body shift kit and go from there I understand with these transmissions and there brittle O/D it only shows the code for 2nd just fyi
which leads me to beliee its the classic 2-3 flare imo. usually the fix is the updated ford bonded seperator plate and or one of the shift kits, which all they really do is raise line pressure, and thats all flares really are, inadequate line pressure/timing of shift. one thing to replace while you are in there could be the solenoid pack, but thats a personal choice. or just find a good and experienced rebuilder and get the thing redone... 410fortune knows brett, who builds good trannies ive heard!! perhaps reach out to him to get more info ;) :D

Just hope you didn’t burn any bands in the mean time, fingers crossed

Just hope you didn’t burn any bands in the mean time, fingers crossed
one must hope!!! :D just for future, wouldnt run the lucas in a decent tranny, only one thats on its last legs

one must hope!!! :D just for future, wouldnt run the lucas in a decent tranny, only one thats on its last legs
Maine reason I ran the lucas is because I got scared more or less. I had read on here the over drive blinking light means trannie bye bye so I but some in there to try to fix it up or stop it flaring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

makes sense! yeah usually that would be true. :D

Back