• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Issues w/ 265's

motorhead19

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware native, living in NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
So the other day I started to hear a noise coming from under my 03 explorer, (4.0L, 4x4, 60k ). I assumed it was the catalytic converter and made an appointment at the dealer to have it fixed. I bought it a year ago w/ 40k miles as a "Ford Certified" used car giving me a powertrain warranty til 75k miles. I also opted for the extented waranty which covers everything else up to 75k miles. On my way to the firehouse tonight, it started shifting funny and I had difficulty getting above 35mph. I've had 265/70/r16 BFG AT Ko's on it for about a year. My question is, is it possible the tires have destroyed my tranny? Will the dealership void my warranty b/c of the tires. Has anyone else had this problem? Sorry for the long post. Thanks

The bigger tires are harder on the tranny, but I doubt they destroyed the tranny. As for the warranty being voided I don't know

My factory warranty and extended warranty covered both issues - transmission failure at about 33k, it was not the tires, it had problems new off the lot; and at 73k a seal or something caused the vehicle to jerk into reverse... both covered by warranty even with 265/70/r17... I only had the stock tires for like the first 20k or so miles, tm was going out at that time. It's possible they could contest it, but it hasn't happened to me. And with 50k miles on the larger tires (two sets), it would be ridiculous for the dealer to argue... (I had a temporary set of smaller tires when the tm/reverse issue happened, but by they time it got to the dealer, the larger tires were back on)

Just don't mention they are larger...

Back