Transmission issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission issues

hmease010

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ford Explorer Eddie Ba
So my 03 Eddie Bauer won't shift. The od light flashes and when trying to go onto 2nd gear it just revs up. I can't get it to go over 20mph. It will go into reverse with ease but it won't make it to second. Is it the torque convertor, solenoid or just need a new transmission? I'm trying to avoid putting a new one in if I can. Any advice? I won't get rid if it since I still owe money on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So my 03 Eddie Bauer won't shift. The od light flashes and when trying to go onto 2nd gear it just revs up. I can't get it to go over 20mph. It will go into reverse with ease but it won't make it to second. Is it the torque convertor, solenoid or just need a new transmission? I'm trying to avoid putting a new one in if I can. Any advice? I won't get rid if it since I still owe money on it.
@hmease010
We can throw out guesses, but best method is to check for stored code(s). Try shifting into 1, accelerate a bit, the shift to 2. If 2 works in 2, but not in D, we can narrow it down as to probable cause. Not torque converter. May be Shift Solenoid 2 mechanically failed, or electrically failed, or electrical failure in wiring to Solenoid. Need code. imp

@hmease010
We can throw out guesses, but best method is to check for stored code(s). Try shifting into 1, accelerate a bit, the shift to 2. If 2 works in 2, but not in D, we can narrow it down as to probable cause. Not torque converter. May be Shift Solenoid 2 mechanically failed, or electrically failed, or electrical failure in wiring to Solenoid. Need code. imp
I have 2 codes
C0141
Iso9141

I have 2 codes
C0141
Iso9141
@hmease010 @JK080
ISO 9141 is the type of electronic protocol being used.

C0141 relates to "Transmission Control Solenoid", a name escaping me. JK080 can help us, when he's available. imp

I dont have anything on that C0141 code, it might need to be read with a better scanner.

If it just won't shift it out of first my thought would be something with a speed sensor or a range switch. Having a scanner that can display data such as road speed, gear selection and other inputs and controls would help find out what is really going on.

Oh man I can't drive it to a shop that has one. Where can I rent or loan one? I tried autozone with no luck.

I wonder if the fact my battery wasn't fully charged had something to do with my odd code? Since it's been sitting the battery is dead and needs charged up. I charged it a little bit enough to get those codes.

I dont have anything on that C0141 code, it might need to be read with a better scanner.

If it just won't shift it out of first my thought would be something with a speed sensor or a range switch. Having a scanner that can display data such as road speed, gear selection and other inputs and controls would help find out what is really going on.
@JK080
Your help is appreciated, guy! The code seemed strange to me, a chassis code ("C"), usually ABS? Sometimes the issues are straightforward, other times zilch. I wish today's technology had been out there when I cut my teeth in cars, 60 years ago! imp

i think that po141 is a heat oxygen sensor nothing to do with the transmission. harbor freight has those readers for about $40.

I wonder if the fact my battery wasn't fully charged had something to do with my odd code? Since it's been sitting the battery is dead and needs charged up. I charged it a little bit enough to get those codes.

I would fully charge the battery, clear all codes and redrive it until the light comes back on. Then try to read the codes and hopefully you will have different results.

Low battery voltage can cause all kinds of problems with electronically controlled transmissions and other systems that require computers to operate so make sure your charging system is working properly and all connections are tight and clean.

Download free software called "FORSCAN". Purchase a cheap bluetooth OBD-II adapter (you may have one already, or look up BAFX on Amazon).
Use that to read codes.
It will check all the modules and find all codes set. You can also look at transmission data.

Download free software called "FORSCAN". Purchase a cheap bluetooth OBD-II adapter (you may have one already, or look up BAFX on Amazon).
Use that to read codes.
It will check all the modules and find all codes set. You can also look at transmission data.

Get a USB OBD-II adapter, the Bluetooth one I have did not work with Forscan. Best used with a laptop not a phone.

@2Trux
Both of the above posts have left me in the dark. The unknown is the Bluetooth. I have a laptop. I have an EX running on only one key, though I have 2 (both the originals from Ford).

What the fu3k should I do next? imp

@2Trux
Both of the above posts have left me in the dark. The unknown is the Bluetooth. I have a laptop. I have an EX running on only one key, though I have 2 (both the originals from Ford).

What the fu3k should I do next? imp

imp, if you are trying to get both keys to work with your truck, or program new keys when you don't have 2 originals, Forscan is what you need. This is my understanding of the process. Download program to laptop (it's free) then you will have to send for a code to allow you to get into the key programming part of the program (this is free). Connect to OBD port to do the programming.

The tricky part can be having your laptop talk to the OBD adapter. I have one of the cheap Bluetooth adapters that worked fine with Torque on my phone, but I could not get it to talk to the Forscan program on my laptop. What I have seen suggested most often is to get an OBD adapter that uses USB to connect to the laptop. I bought one of those but have not connected it to the laptop yet to try it. The problem I had with the Bluetooth adapter was not being able to get it to emulate a com: port that Forscan would recognize. I have also heard that the Bluetooth will not pass data fast enough.

When I get home tonight I will connect the USB OBD adapter to my laptop and see how it does.

Back