Transmission Problem Shifting From First To Third | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Problem Shifting From First To Third

sohcmike

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 & 2006 Explorer
Hey Guys
Bought my 2010 Explorer XLT 4x4 V6 with 125,000 miles. Everything has worked flawlessly until yesterday when the wrench light came on. I had just got home from a three hour trip. When i went to run an errand I noticed the wrench light come on. The transmission shifts from first to third and when i let off the gas the RPM's go back to around 1000rpm while it coasts. I gently give it gas and you can feel it catch when the rpm's come back up.
It has 264,000 miles on it and i have changed the fluid three times since I've owned it and there's nothing out of the ordinary in the pan.

Could this be something as simple as replacing a sensor or am I looking at a rebuild/replacement? Any ideas?
Thanks, Mike

Can't help you with diagnosis, but just picked mine up from tranny shop. 2010 V6 EB 135k miles.
Lots of chattering on cold start, went away after warmed up, but got progressively worse. Didn't want to go into 2nd, wouldn't go into 5th at all.
Overdrive planetary was trashed.

$3200+tax for complete rebuild in Philly suburbs.

What DTC do you get?

Back