• Register Today It's free!

transmission problem

va2explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsville,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03EX4.0,06EX4.6
03 explorer XLT 4x4 ,4.0,180,000k. Transmission will not shift into 5th gear and the converter will not lock up. I pulled out the OSS,ISS & TSS sensors, the OSS&ISS sensors had normal graphite looking build up on them, but the TSS sensor had larger metal shavings on it. For the last 50k or so when the vehicle is under load ,there has been a rattling or buzzing noise that sounds like a catalytic converter shield rattle coming from the torque converter area. The tranny was working fine when I parked it after work,got up the next morning and the shift problem started. No change after cleaning the sensors either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Codes?

P0732 Gear 2 incorrect ratio? HMMM???? and P1000

HELP,HELP!!! The overnight thing is what is blowing my mind.

The overdrive servo piston is either broken or the case is worn and letting fluid bypass the servo. Do you have 2nd gear at all or is it really soft?

I do have 2nd gear but the motor almost redlines before it shifts into 2nd,It's a pretty hard shift when going into 2nd then shifts normal into 3rd and 4th

It probably is the overdrive servo piston. It can be replaced without removing the transmission but is very difficult to do anyway.

It probably is the overdrive servo piston. It can be replaced without removing the transmission but is very difficult to do anyway.

Could you tell us a little bit more about replacing the overdrive servo piston. I am having a similar issuse with my 03 xlt , but mine is not drivable, the rpms climb to about 3500+ before it will shift, and when it does, it will shift real hard and jerk you back in your seat. Thanks a lot

Thanks for the info! I'll start with the servo and go from there.

FWIW: I had the servo replaced with the o-ring enhanced version and all is fine. No issues to report. Good luck!

pretty much had the same symptoms....replaced both overdrive (the OD servo was definitely broken....came out in two pieces) and intermediate servos with the enhanced o-ring versions mentioned above. Have a few thousand miles on it now and transmission is still shifting fine.

You might want to check and make sure that the OD and intermediate band adjusters will torque. If you can't reach the appropriate torque on the adjusters without bottoming out the adjuster than you probably have a broken band...in which case you will have to remove tranny.

Thanks alot everyone. I will update you when I find/repair
the problem

Gosh, I started this thread last december. where has the time gone. instead of fixing the tranny in my 03 XLT last year I went and bought a 06 limited V8, and just parked the 03. Now the tranny has taken a crap in the 06 much worse symptoms than the 03. I was wondering any of you that replaced the servos, did you do it yourself? and was it a super tough job or do you just have to drop the pan for access? anyone want to buy a 06 limited 4x4 V8 fully loaded with a tranny issue. $12,000 takes her homes.

Gosh, I started this thread last december. where has the time gone. instead of fixing the tranny in my 03 XLT last year I went and bought a 06 limited V8, and just parked the 03. Now the tranny has taken a crap in the 06 much worse symptoms than the 03. I was wondering any of you that replaced the servos, did you do it yourself? and was it a super tough job or do you just have to drop the pan for access? anyone want to buy a 06 limited 4x4 V8 fully loaded with a tranny issue. $12,000 takes her homes.

It would take about $2k to get the transmission completely overhauled.

Well, I know that's a deep subject, and so is this FOMOCO transmission debate . I did my homework and replaced both the intermediate and overdrive servos about three weeks ago(3-2-13) with the o-ring upgraded servos, a little over $225.00 after shipping. The fix worked for about 5 miles, straight out of my shop and down the road I drove, I thought heck yeah!!!! Then when I came to a complete stop and started off again, and my big smile,and brief moment of joy was gone. :( . The OD light started flashing and 4th gear was the highlight for the rest of the trip back to my shop. Being optimistic, I was hoping the servos would start working within a few hundred miles as the literature stated, Nope!!!! My wife drove the EX for the last two weeks with only 4 gears, and yester-night I towed the EX about 10 miles to my shop after it left my wife stranded at the library. Only the 2nd time in my 24yrs of driving a FORD has left me or my wife totally stranded. The 1st time was a 99 Taurus (rental) with like 15k on it, transmission problems with it as well. What is it with FOMOCO and there transmissions. I have went through numerous BW/T5's, but I have always blamed my aggressive driving to be the culprit. When I began thinking about what FOMOCO vehicles I have owned, and how many of those vehicles had a transmission issue, my findings where a little more than disappointing. Since I was old enough to know the difference between auto manufactures(30yrs or so) My loyalty has been to FOMOCO, because that's what my family believed in, and I don't see my POPPOP(grandfather) buying todays FORD's with reliability issues such as these. He bought FORD's because they were tuff like his Dad's(my great grandpa's) Draft Horses were. So FOMOCO tighten up!!! or I am going across town, and why don't you use some Honda engineering in your transmissions. They seem to have it down to a science, with only a little over 50yrs making automobile transmissions. 250-300k on ORIGINAL transmissions should be FOMOCO's goal. P.S. I will update what I find inside my 5R55 as soon as I get it dropped out. :)

Back