• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problems!!??

kismatik

Reaction score
City, State
Midwest city, oK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Ok.... when under acceleration, the engine rpm will go up but the car seems to lag in the speed department. its seems maybe the cluch slips on initial engagement. speed will eventually catch up after a few seconds. any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry its a '94 xlt with a five speed manual

When was the last time the clutch was changed?

Test for a bad clutch -- try starting out in a higher gear. If it rpms like crazy, but doesn't move its time...

haha would you belive me when i say 145,000

yeah is just revs high and no movement. what do you recomend changing just the clutch disk or what???

yeah is just revs high and no movement. what do you recomend changing just the clutch disk or what???

You are WAY overdue -- as you have just found out.

Because of the slippage, you are going to have to also turn the flywheel. Sorry. Many people skip that step, but it gives less than satisfactory performance with the next clutch. Turning the flywheel is similar to what is done for brake rotors, in that a new surface is formed by taking a skim off the face of the flywheel to eliminate glazing and heat risers (small cracks that form on the surface). Any automotive machine shop can handle that task for you.

You will change:

Clutch disk
Pressure plate
Throw-out bearing
Pilot bearing (in the end of the crankshaft)

It is also very wise to change the rear main seal of the engine while you have it stripped down this far.

And machine:

Flywheel

Are you up to doing the work yourself, or is this something that you will take to someone?

got it taken care of 6.5 hours and a sore back later though i might add.
Went pretty easly except for breaking all three downpipe to cat-converter bolts!! I just drilled them out and added new studes no worries....... thanks for the advice!

Back