Transmission solenoid body ?uestion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission solenoid body ?uestion

fdxdoeboy

Reaction score
City, State
philly
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xlt
Hello I have an 02 explorer xlt with 40k miles and to make a long story short the overdrive light starts flashing on the dash after the truck warms up.

I took it into a ford dealer and they said that the trans solenoid valve body is acting up but the service writer said that it is not affecting the vehicles shifting points at all and that it will not get worse.

He also said that the unit is simply malfunctioning but that it will not ruin the transmission, and that for $640 including part and installation that if it were his truck he wouldn't worry about it.

The light is annoying me an my wife who mostly drives the truck so I want to get it fixed not to mention the fact that i'm kind of weary about leting the problem go.

My question is how easy is it to install the trans solenoid valve body and also what in the world does this thing look like? Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this the 5R55W transmission? or a 5R55E?

Once you respond we can help.

I will look at the truck once my wife gets home and see what type of trans it is. Now I spoke to the dealer that I purchased it from and after talking to the General Manager he called me back and said they are going to cover the work for free. I am extremely happy.

Glacier991 said:
Once you respond we can help.

Good. It ought to be warranty work, and candidly the servicewriter's response to you ought to be reported to FMC.

Update:::: Took the truck to the dealer thurs night they said they were going to have it ready by friday. Friday I recieved a call from the service manager and basically he said that the solenoid body problem had caused the torque converter to go bad and that the clutch and its internals were shreded within the unit. Now I am in a rental that they are paying for and they are telling me it should be ready by monday. And of course at no cost to me. :D

The only thing i'm angry about is the first service writers comments when he said there is nothing to worry about.

fdxdoeboy said:
I will look at the truck once my wife gets home and see what type of trans it is. Now I spoke to the dealer that I purchased it from and after talking to the General Manager he called me back and said they are going to cover the work for free. I am extremely happy.

You have my advice. And I am glad it all worked out.

Back